Houston, Texas: Pawn Shop Wedding Chapel - Gone
- A tough pawn shop neighborhood, Bellfort Ave. is littered with the blown-out hulks of abandoned businesses.
- Chapel gone.
Pawn Shop Wedding Chapel - Gone
Visitor Tips and News About Pawn Shop Wedding Chapel - Gone
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Before his business was bought by someone called "Mr. Money," the late Ted Kipperman offered a unique combination of pawn shop and wedding chapel. If you bought a gun or wedding ring, your marriage ceremony was FREE. Otherwise it was $49.95 with your choice of indoors, outdoors, or drive-thru.
Kipperman was just a pawn shop owner until the oil business collapsed in the early 1980s, and he got stuck with hundreds of pawned wedding rings. So he became a licensed chaplain. The wedding chapel had an altar, wrought-iron heart, fake wedding cake, boom box music, and mural of Niagara Falls.
Now Mr. Kipperman is dead, and "Mr. Money" doesn't perform weddings. The chapel is gone.
[Roadsideamerica.com Team, 03/04/2006]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 16, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Texas Latest Tips and Stories
- Alien Abduction Statue, The Woodlands, Texas
- The Loch Tex Monster, The Woodlands, Texas
- Last Vehicle Out of Iraq, Fort Hood, Texas
- Statue of Billy the Kid, Hico, Texas
- Frank's Hog Stand, Inside a Pig, San Antonio, Texas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: The Windsor Ruins, Port Gibson, Mississippi
- The Most Absurd Bar in the World: A Sculpture, Dennysville, Maine
- Eerie Abraham Lincoln Hologram, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Camera Heritage Museum, Staunton, Virginia
- Crime and Punishment Museum, Ashburn, Georgia
Latest Visitor Tips