Coalwood, West Virginia: Space Shuttle Replica
Poised for liftoff, a replica remembers local kid turned NASA engineer Homer Hickham and the Rocket Boys (title of his book that became the movie "October Sky"). Visitors can see Homer's boyhood home and rocket launch site.
- Hwy 2, Coalwood, WV
- In the town park, next to Hwy 2 on the west side of town. West of Mudhole Branch Rd.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Space Shuttle Replica
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Coalwood has a replica of the Space Shuttle. You can also see the boyhood home of Homer Hickam, author of "The Rocket Boys" and basis for the "October Sky" movie. Fans can head out to Homer's rocket launch site.
There's also a yearly Rocket Boys festival.
[Mark Turner, 01/31/2011]
Home of the Rocket Boys, Shuttle Monument
There's a monument to Homer Hickham, who wrote "The Rocket Boys" on which the movie "October Sky" is based. It's a miniature replica of a space shuttle poised on a rocket, ready to launch.
This is Homer's actual hometown, not the movie location, which used buildings and settings in Oliver Springs, Tennessee. Oliver Springs has an October Sky Museum.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 02/10/2007]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 18, 2014
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Hillbilly Hot Dogs - We Got the Weenies, Lesage, West Virginia
- John Henry Statue, Talcott, West Virginia
- Giant Coal Miner, Shinnston, West Virginia
- Mystery Hole, Ansted, West Virginia
- Indian Head Rock, Cotton Hill, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
- Big Moose Country Store, Hoosick, New York
- Confederate Nuclear Missile, Cordele, Georgia
- Grave of Rocky's Adrian, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- World's Largest Functioning Fire Hydrant, Las Vegas, Nevada
Latest Visitor Tips