Monticello, Utah: Newspaper RockA cliff face covered with Indian scribblings. There are others, but Newspaper Rock is right on a highway with its own parking lot.
- Hwy 211, Monticello, UT
- Take US 191 either 17 miles south of the junction of Hwy 46, or 14 miles north of the junction of US 491 in Monticello. Turn west off of US 191 onto Hwy 211 at the sign for the South Entrance to Canyonlands National Park. The Rock is conveniently right on Hwy 211, about 12.5 miles west of US 191. Look for the parking area.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Newspaper Rock
Interesting to see and easy to get to. It is just outside Canyon Lands National Park.[Angelique Kube, 06/25/2012]
The monument features a flat rock with a large known collection of petroglyphs. Unclear the reason for the large concentration of the petroglyphs. They were carved by Native Americans during both the prehistoric and historic periods. Some glyphs show riders on horses and a wheel. While precise dating of the rock carvings is difficult, repatination of surface minerals reveals their relative ages -- Approx 2,000 years.[Mike Stroud, 02/26/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Families in Cave Dwellings, La Sal Junction, UT - 17 mi.
- Feathered Dinosaur Museum, Blanding, UT - 26 mi.
- Hole N' The Rock, Moab, UT - 28 mi.
- In the region: Longest Wooden Suspension Bridge in Utah - Burned!, Dewey, UT - 58 mi.