Bridgeport, Connecticut: Barnum Museum: Merman ReplicaMuseum of the famous showman exhibits a fake monster freak made for a TV production. Photography not allowed.
- Exit 27 off I-95. Take Lafayette Blvd. Right onto State St. then right onto Main St. From I-95 heading South: Take Exit 27 (Lafayette Boulevard) turn right at the end of the ramp. At the 3rd stop light, turn right onto State Street. Continue to 2nd light (Main Street), turn right on to Main. Museum is one block down on the left.
- Closed for repairs until 2013. (Call to verify)
P.T .Barnum Museum: A rare tornado swept through Bridgeport on June 24, damaging the P.T. Barnum Museum. [07/19/2010] Complete Story...
Visitor Tips and News About Barnum Museum: Merman Replica
I wanted to let you know that the Barnum Museum does NOT have the original Feejee mermaid. The mermaid on display there is an artist's reconstruction of a Feejee mermaid. Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed in the museum so I couldn't take any, but I think I wrote down what the plaque on the case said.[Chuckman, 01/24/1998]
The Fejee mermaid replica was created by artist Stanton Kip Miller for an HBO TV special on P.T. Barnum, based on original drawings and written descriptions. Here's a photo... and the museum also has a real Egyptian mummy and a preserved elephant!
Nearby Offbeat Places
- P. T. Barnum Statue, Bridgeport, CT - 1 mi.
- Tom Thumb, P. T. Barnum Graves, Bridgeport, CT - 2 mi.
- Vatican Gardens Knockoff, Bridgeport, CT - 2 mi.
- In the region: New York City Panorama: World's Largest Scale Model, Queens, NY - 45 mi.