Laurens, Iowa: Hometown of Lawnmower Man
Laurens is still wrestling with its legacy of Alvin Straight's drive of 240 miles on a lawn mower in 1994.
- Laurens, IA
- The mower is owned by William Chaffee. Call him at the newspaper office. (Call to verify)
House of Lawn Mower Man Burns; Mower Safe
Visitor Tips and News About Hometown of Lawnmower Man
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
In the summer of 1994, Alvin Straight of Laurens, Iowa, drove 240 miles to visit his ailing brother in Mount Zion, Wisconsin -- on a lawn tractor. Alvin was 73, had bad eyes, no driver's license, and didn't trust public transportation.... [07/29/2007] Complete News Story
May 30, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Iowa Latest Tips and Stories
- Freedom Rock, Menlo, Iowa
- Tiny Church: Guardian Angel Roadside Chapel, Clear Lake, Iowa
- Large Chicken, Ice Cream Cone, Clear Lake, Iowa
- Golden Dome of Pure Knowledge, Fairfield, Iowa
- The Sitting Man, Iowa City, Iowa
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Hay Bale Dress Up, Berryville, Virginia
- 36-Foot-Tall Statues Of The Beatles, Houston, Texas
- Giant Chair, Berryville, Virginia
- Renaissance-Lover's Castle, Arrington, Tennessee
- Carmen Miranda Zebra, Austin, Texas