Kalaupapa, Molokai, Hawaii: Mule Ride to a Leper Colony
It takes a full day there and back, but the views are nice.
Kalaupapa National Historical Park.
- Unnamed Rd, Kalaupapa, Molokai, HI
- Kalawao Park. Pick up your mule on Hwy 470 (Kalae Hwy) at mile post 5. Look for the large Molokai Guided Mule Tour sign.
- Tours must be booked in advance. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Mule Ride to a Leper Colony
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
While you're on Molokai, you can book a mule ride expedition down to the Kaulapapa Hansen's Disease Leper Colony. The US Park Service conducts tours of the Hansen's facility, including a visit to the church where Belgian priest and hero to the outcasts Father Damien is buried. After helping residents for many years, he died of complications from Hansen's Disease himself. The mule ride takes you down a sheer cliff to the colony, 1664-feet below. Not for timid folks! Call (808) 567-6088 for further information and/or reservations.
[Bruce Wheeler, 02/27/1997]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Phallic Rock, Kalaupapa Lookout, Molokai, HI - 4 mi.
- Whale-Shaped Pool, Lahaina, Maui, HI - 24 mi.
- Whalers Village Museum - Whale Skeleton, Lahaina, Maui, HI - 24 mi.
- Hand Carved Statues, Old Hawaiian Village, Lahaina, Maui, HI - 27 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 1, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Hawaii Latest Tips and Stories
- Tiny Church, Kahaluu-Keauhou, Big Island, Hawaii
- The Painted Church, Captain Cook, Big Island, Hawaii
- King Kamehameha I Statue, Kapaau, Big Island, Hawaii
- King Kamehameha I Statue #2, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
- Eternal Flame War Memorial, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Warrior King Jesus on a White Stallion, Owatonna, Minnesota
- Longest Historic Covered Bridge in the USA, Medora, Indiana
- Sit with Giant Lincoln, Boise, Idaho
- Old Idaho Penitentiary, Boise, Idaho
- Gold King Mine Museum - Old West Junkyard, Jerome, Arizona
Latest Visitor Tips