Kalaupapa, Molokai, Hawaii: Mule Ride to a Leper Colony
It takes a full day there and back, but the views are nice.
Kalaupapa National Historical Park.
- Unnamed Rd, Kalaupapa, Molokai, HI
- Kalawao Park. Pick up your mule on Hwy 470 (Kalae Hwy) at mile post 5. Look for the large Molokai Guided Mule Tour sign.
- Tours must be booked in advance. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Mule Ride to a Leper Colony
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
While you're on Molokai, you can book a mule ride expedition down to the Kaulapapa Hansen's Disease Leper Colony. The US Park Service conducts tours of the Hansen's facility, including a visit to the church where Belgian priest and hero to the outcasts Father Damien is buried. After helping residents for many years, he died of complications from Hansen's Disease himself. The mule ride takes you down a sheer cliff to the colony, 1664-feet below. Not for timid folks! Call (808) 567-6088 for further information and/or reservations.
[Bruce Wheeler, 02/27/1997]
August 30, 2015
Hawaii Latest Tips and Stories
- Human Sacrifice Temple - Holo-holo-Ku Heiau, Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii
- Duke Kahanamoku Statue, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
- The Stupid Factory, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
- Robert Duvall's Surfboard from Apocalypse Now, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
- Hand Carved Statues, Old Hawaiian Village, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: John Deere Tractor and Engine Museum, Waterloo, Iowa
- Lonely Putt-Putt Giraffe, Ontario, Ohio
- Roy's Cafe Motel - Famous Sign, Amboy, California
- VHAS's Statue of Liberty, Vineland, New Jersey
- Big Honza's Museum of Unnatural History, Montgomery, Minnesota