Apache, Arizona: Geronimo Surrender Monument
The famous Apache warrior actually surrendered some distance away in a remote canyon, but the surrender monument was placed in a more accessible spot.
- Hwy 80, Apache, AZ
- On the south side of Hwy 80, either nine mines west of the Arizona-New Mexico state line, or 39 miles east of the town of Douglas.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Geronimo Surrender Monument
Visitor Tips and News About Geronimo Surrender Monument
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Just driving by and saw this. Turns out it's pretty darned special. Nothing around but the mountains Geronimo surrendered in, but cool nonetheless. This area has a shaded picnic area.
Monument where Geronimo surrendered
This monument which is located about 40 miles north of Douglas, AZ on Hwy. 80, marks the spot where Geronimo surrendered to General Nelson Miles on Sept. 6, 1886. The surrender of Geronimo ended Indian warfare in the US.
Geronimo was taken to Forts Marion and Pickens in Florida and in 1884 to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. He traveled with Pawnee Bill's Wild West Show and rode in Theodore Roosevelt's inaugural parade in 1905. Geronimo died Feb. 17,1909 and is buried at Fort Sill Oklahoma.
[Joe Boulter, 09/19/2007]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 31, 2015
Arizona Latest Tips and Stories
- Kitt Peak Observatory, Sells, Arizona
- Navajo Code Talkers Exhibit at Burger King, Kayenta, Arizona
- Dinosaur Tracks, Moen-avi, Arizona
- Miners Memorial with Skeleton Miners, Mammoth, Arizona
- Two Guns - Route 66 Attractions In Ruins, Two Guns, Arizona
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips