North Smithfield, Rhode Island: Big Travel Mug (Gone)Consuming all of the coffee in this mug advertising a business would give you the stamina to drive to China.
The Ice Box Coffee
- Outside Ice Box Coffee. I-295 exit 9-B. North on Eddie Dowling Hwy/Hwy 146 for one mile. The Mug is on the southbound side, just south of the intersection of Sayles Hill Rd.
- June 2014: Mug reported gone.
Visitor Tips and News About Big Travel Mug (Gone)
After years of frequently riding past the"Big Travel Mug" on the way to the drive-in theater, it appears those days are over for me and all other Route 146 travelers. I drove through North Smithfield yesterday and saw that the mug is gone. You can see the empty pavement from where it stood for so many years. My friend said he rode past on May 1st and it was there, but two days later when he traveled that way again it was gone.
It remains to be seen if the mug will find a new location, or if it has already seen its last days and is now debris.[Kurt Deion, 06/03/2014]
The big travel mug on Route 146 is now "The Ice Box Coffee & More" and it has a bright new paint job! I saw steam coming from the black straw the other morning. Their chocolate ice cream is delicious! I encourage people to make the trip just for the ice cream. Also, the "Milk Can Bottle Building" is on the other side of the road.[AKR, 09/26/2013]
Route 146 in N. Smithfield, RI has had a giant "Travel Mug" for as long as I can remember.[Sue, 03/12/2008]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Milk Can - Bottle Building, Manville, RI - < 1 mi.
- Sistine Chapel of Rhode Island, Woonsocket, RI - 3 mi.
- Vampire Grasp Grave of Simon Whipple, North Smithfield, RI - 3 mi.
- In the region: Skull of Phineas Gage and the Rod That Passed Through It, Boston, MA - 33 mi.