Bentonsport, Iowa: Indian Artifact MuseumThousands of arrowheads and artifacts, locally collected and exhibited by Tony Sanders, a man who "only eats what he hunts or grows."
- 21947 Des Moines St., Bentonsport, IA
- On the north side of the river, east end of town, just around the corner from the Mason House Inn. Des Moines St. is only one block long.
- Sa-Su 10 am - 4 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Indian Artifact Museum
Museum is filled with over 4,000 arrowheads and artifacts that Tony Sanders has found in Southeast Iowa, part of Missouri and Illinois. He has built displays of various wood native to the area. He cuts them with a coping saw in different shapes and sizes, fitting them together in an awesome display. Tony in his late 60s, never married, runs 5 miles a day, has no phone, and only eats what he hunts or grows. He can often find 15 to 20 arrowheads after a big rain.
The museum is located in the Bentonsport Historic District, which has buildings restored from the 1840s and has antiques and crafts in them, a working blacksmith, potter, sculptor, and historic sites. The Mason House Inn claims to have several ghosts that live there. They even have ghost classes available.[Cheryl Duke, 04/15/2008]
We normally don't go for arrowhead collections, but from Cheryl's pics the angular walls and woodwork lend a nice, pointy atmosphere -- like you're trapped on Planet Arrowhead. And Tony sounds like our kind of collector!
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Golden Dome of Pure Knowledge, Fairfield, IA - 21 mi.
- Tiny Church, Kahoka, MO - 23 mi.
- Statue Of Liberty, Mount Pleasant, IA - 23 mi.
- In the region: Museum of Funeral Customs Exhibits - Lincoln Casket, Carthage, IL - 43 mi.