St. Petersburg, Florida: Fountain of Youth (Gone)Old time spa and rejuvenation attraction, long gone.
- Was on the corner of Fourth Avenue S and First Street S, behind Al Lang baseball stadium.
Visitor Tips and News About Fountain of Youth
Remnants of one time attraction, formerly located near the St. Petersburg Pier. Industrialist Edwin Tomlinson dug a well in St. Petersburg, FL near a long pier going out into the bay in 1889. At the beginning of 20th century, Dr. Jesse Conrad bought the property and opened a spa on the location allowing for bathing and drinking of the well's sulphurous water. In 1946, the location moved due to a hurricane that destroyed the original pier.
For many years the location flourished as "the Fountain of Youth" and there were several different statues of Ponce de Leon on the site through the years until it closed for good in 1975.
Today the "fountain" is a water fountain behind Al Lang stadium and the original well water bubbles up in the middle of the bay![Rick Kilby, 03/01/2009]
Modern travelers must regain their vitality further north in Florida, at St. Augustine's Fountain of Youth.