Anchorage, Alaska: Burial Spirit Houses
Unusual and colorful burial sites -- looks like the miniature circus is in town.
- Eklutna Village Rd, Anchorage, AK
- Near Eklutna. You drive out the Glen Highway toward Wasilla and take the Eklutna Lake turnoff and there are signs - turn left to go to Eklutna Village (graveyard) and right to head up to the lake.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Burial Spirit Houses
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Colorful Alaskan-Russian Burials
I just got back from Alaska where I came across this grave yard. Basically what you are looking at is the combining of Russian (as in fur trade) and native burial practices that result in these fantastic spirit houses.
There's a 5-dollar donation box for the Russian Orthodox church. If visitors are lucky, they will see snow shoe rabbits being frisky in and among the graves and in the wilderness beyond. [Rene de Guzman, 05/25/2009]
May 25, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- The Bird House, Bird Creek, Alaska
- Salty Dawg Saloon, Homer, Alaska
- Whispering Giant - Indian Head, Valdez, Alaska
- Lonesome Fish, Valdez, Alaska
- Cat Mayor, Talkeetna, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Korean War Foxhole, San Antonio, Texas
- Feature: National WWII Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Buckhorn Hall of Horns, San Antonio, Texas
- Tin Man from Oz, Readfield, Wisconsin
- Cave Restaurant, Richland, Missouri