Anchorage, Alaska: Burial Spirit Houses
Unusual and colorful burial sites -- looks like the miniature circus is in town.
- Eklutna Village Rd, Anchorage, AK
- Near Eklutna. You drive out the Glen Highway toward Wasilla and take the Eklutna Lake turnoff and there are signs - turn left to go to Eklutna Village (graveyard) and right to head up to the lake.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Burial Spirit Houses
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Colorful Alaskan-Russian Burials
I just got back from Alaska where I came across this grave yard. Basically what you are looking at is the combining of Russian (as in fur trade) and native burial practices that result in these fantastic spirit houses.
There's a 5-dollar donation box for the Russian Orthodox church. If visitors are lucky, they will see snow shoe rabbits being frisky in and among the graves and in the wilderness beyond. [Rene de Guzman, 05/25/2009]
September 26, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- Huge Chair, Homer, Alaska
- Big Metal Chickens, Chicken, Alaska
- Wal-Mikes: Hand in Jar, Trapper Creek, Alaska
- North America's Most Westerly Highway Point, Anchor Point, Alaska
- Chrome Bear, Anchorage, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Doug Bast's House of History, Boonsboro, Maryland
- Phil Collins' 1836 Alamo Model, San Antonio, Texas
- B-29 Bomber Collision Site, Weatherford, Texas
- Big Ice Cream Cone, Abbotsford, Wisconsin
- Foamhenge, Natural Bridge, Virginia