Anchorage, Alaska: Burial Spirit Houses
Unusual and colorful burial sites -- looks like the miniature circus is in town.
- Eklutna Village Rd, Anchorage, AK
- Near Eklutna. You drive out the Glen Highway toward Wasilla and take the Eklutna Lake turnoff and there are signs - turn left to go to Eklutna Village (graveyard) and right to head up to the lake.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Colorful Alaskan-Russian Burials
Visitor Tips and News About Burial Spirit Houses
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
I just got back from Alaska where I came across this grave yard. Basically what you are looking at is the combining of Russian (as in fur trade) and native burial practices that result in these fantastic spirit houses.
There's a 5-dollar donation box for the Russian Orthodox church. If visitors are lucky, they will see snow shoe rabbits being frisky in and among the graves and in the wilderness beyond. [Rene de Guzman, 05/25/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 5, 2013
Alaska Latest Tips and Stories
- World's Largest Gold Pan, Nome, Alaska
- Dinosaur, Horse, Lady Greenhouse Planters, North Pole, Alaska
- Northernmost Totem Pole in the World, Point Barrow, Alaska
- Giant Mosquito, Kasilof, Alaska
- Skagway Brothel Museum, Skagway, Alaska
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Bagdad Cafe: Route 66 Icon, Newberry Springs, California
- Ruins of Santa's Land, Santa Claus, Arizona
- Birthplace of John Wayne, Winterset, Iowa
- World's Largest Shuttlecocks, Kansas City, Missouri
- Grave of Talking TV Horse Mr. Ed, Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Latest Visitor Tips