Fort Shaw, Montana: Ghost Town Frontier FortLarge white buildings from an 1870s frontier fort turned into a school; one serves as a makeshift historical museum open sporadically during the summer.
- Old Fort Shaw Rd, Fort Shaw, MT
- About 20 miles west of Great Falls via Montana Hwy 200. One-half mile northwest of town, next to the elementary school.
- Some parts of fort are private property.
Visitor Tips and News About Ghost Town Frontier Fort
There was a great old frontier fort called Fort Shaw, which is now a ghost town -- there is a tiny town near there today called Fort Shaw, but it's separate from the fort remnants. This is about 20 miles west of Great Falls out in the middle of nowhere. Large white buildings are from the old days of the fort in the 1870s, and one serves as a make-shift historical museum that's only open sporadically during the summer.[Paul McLeod, 12/01/2009]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Monument to World's Greatest Girls Basketball Team of 1904, Fort Shaw, MT - < 1 mi.
- Largest Model Airplane Collection in the World, Great Falls, MT - 22 mi.
- Hill 57, Great Falls, MT - 23 mi.
- Big John - Cowboy Muffler Man, Great Falls, MT - 26 mi.