St. Petersburg, Florida: Al Capone's NightclubSt. Pete's first nightclub, the Gangplank was partly owned by Al Capone. Bonus: Historic burial mounds next door -- Indians, not crime victims.
- 1700 Park St. N, St. Petersburg, FL
- Park and Buildings corner of Park Street and Elbow Ln. Park sits right on Boca Ciega Bay, large parking lot and boat ramp, don't park at the boat ramp. There are two other parking lots.
Visitor Tips and News About Al Capone's Nightclub
The restaurant (Max and Sam's) is now closed so can't tour inside the old nightclub...[Charisse, 04/20/2013]
This historical building now houses the steakhouse Max and Sam's. The owners, Craig and Linda are extremely friendly and will show you around, explaining the history of the building (with neat additional secrets, such as the "bootlegging" tunnel that went under the fireplace). Make sure you stay for after-dinner drinks in the piano bar![saraellen, 11/14/2010]
The Spanish Caribbean building was built in 1924 by developer Walter Fuller. Was called the Gangplank and was the first nightclub in St. Petersburg. The club was partly owned by Al Capone, who used to fly in to a small airport (that is now the site of a local mall).
During Prohibition, they say that bootleg liquor was delivered by boats at night on the bay nearby. The rear of the club was shaped like the prow of a ship, and is still there. Bands would play there -- Count Basie and Duke Ellington both played there; Babe Ruth was married in the Club. There is an old safe in the building they say is from those days and hasn't been opened since. No telling what is in there, business papers of the original owners?
Right next to the building is a park and there are several ancient Indian Mounds erected by the ancient Tocobaga Tribe. Historians believe that this spot is where Europeans first set foot on the North American Continent in 1528. There is a sign stating that.[W C Carter, 02/03/2010]