Winslow, Arizona: Meteor Crater - Barringer Crater
- Meteor Crater Rd, Winslow, AZ
- 35 miles east of Flagstaff and a few miles south of exit 233 off of I-40.
- Mem. - Labor Day 7 am to 7 pm /Other times 8 am - 5 pm. Tours 9:15 am - 2:15 pm (Call to verify)
- Adults $16, Kids 6-16 $6, Under 6 free. No dogs.
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Aren't you glad you weren't standing on this spot 50,000 years ago? Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About Meteor Crater - Barringer Crater
As of July 2012 the price at Meteor Crater has increased to $16. We both thought it was worth it; the crater is pretty impressive.[Marie, 07/28/2012]
Great stop. Lots of information about the crater and meteor/crater science in general. You need shoes (no sandals or flips) to do the rim tour, but there is plenty to see otherwise. Nice gift shop and a Subway if you need a meal.[Dana, 08/11/2010]
Wonderful experience! The theater showing the impact of meteors not only on earth but on other planets was great! And looking at the size of the impact is breathtaking. Very educational for the entire family. We will be going back.[Avery Family, 07/18/2008]
I have been to the crater near Winslow several times and always enjoy it. My first trip was in 1973. At that time you could still take the trail all the way to the bottom and write your name with the bricks. Then you would go back to the top and see it with the telescope. A little tricky making you way down the unstable trail.
I last visited in 2000. The guide then told me they have never allowed people to go to the bottom. Too young I suppose. I showed her this picture![David Maxwell, 06/15/2008]
Wonder if there was an even earlier era when they let visitors roll old metal wheels over the crater walls...
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Meteor City Trading Post - World's Longest Map of Route 66, Meteor City, AZ - 7 mi.
- Two Guns - Route 66 Attractions In Ruins, Two Guns, AZ - 7 mi.
- Bulldog Statue in Dog Park, Winslow, AZ - 18 mi.
- In the region: Ye Olde UFO Store, Sedona, AZ - 44 mi.