Delavan, Wisconsin: Giraffe Statue
A towering giraffe on a brick pedestal is a nod to the town's circus-wintering heritage.
- Park Pl., Delavan, WI
- Walworth Avenue and historic brick street at Main St.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Giraffe Statue
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The giraffe was sweet and gentle, but misunderstood and maltreated and died. The story I heard was that during the early circus days, a lone giraffe from one of the circuses panicked at that exact spot in the town square where the statue is, and died in a horrifying manner in front of the Native American population, who had arrived to give spiritual aid to the giraffe. They couldn't do anything but stand there and watch. The regular townspeople would not have been around because they avoided the circus people and Native Americans, who were the only witnesses. I suspect it was a shameful thing and was not spoken of.
[Judy A., 06/12/2012]
The Delavan Giraffe stands tall in downtown Delavan. The town of Delavan was a huge circus town from 1847 to 1895. This statue was donated to honor their circus heritage.
[Vinny Gragg, 09/24/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Statue of Romeo, The Killer Elephant, Delavan, WI - < 1 mi.
- Watson's Wild West Museum - 2,000 Branding Irons, Elkhorn, WI - 7 mi.
- Harmilda the Cow, Milk Day Festival, Harvard, IL - 15 mi.
- In the region: Wisconsin Automotive Museum, Hartford, WI - 49 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 23, 2014
Wisconsin Latest Tips and Stories
- Towboat L. Wade Childress, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
- Carved Sturgeon Photo Opportunity, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
- Mary Nohl's Concrete Art, Fox Point, Wisconsin
- Margaret Thatcher Jelly Belly Portrait, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
- Pirates Hideaway, Eagle River, Wisconsin
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: 1964-65 New York World's Fair Attractions, Queens, New York
- Tallest Roadside Tombstone in the U.S., Merced, California
- Rock Animal Zoo, Scottsboro, Alabama
- Pink Skull Rabbit, San Francisco, California
- Surfer Statue, Jacksonville, Florida
Latest Visitor Tips