Niagara Falls, New York: Creation Story Turtle BuildingA stylized 60,000 sq. ft. building, inspired by the Iroquois creation story of Earth's formation on the back of a turtle, was the home of the Native American Cultural Center for decades.
- Main St., Niagara Falls, NY
- On Main St. between Buffalo Ave. and Rainbow Blvd., near the American Falls.
- Private property, visible from street.
Visitor Tips and News About Creation Story Turtle Building
This turtle-shaped building was the former Native American Cultural Center. When I was a kid I remember them hosting pow wows and other neat events. Sadly the building is not open and currently for sale or lease.[Suzette, 07/07/2012]
The prominent structure, dating from 1981, is just across the street from the American Falls. The giant turtle is part of the Iroquois creation story, which says the earth was spawned on a turtle's back.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- The Niagara Hotel (Closed), Niagara Falls, NY - < 1 mi.
- Niagara Wax Museum of History: Lincoln's Haircut Chair, Niagara Falls, NY - < 1 mi.
- Twist O' The Mist, Niagara Falls, NY - < 1 mi.
- Grave of Laura Secord, the Paul Revere of Canada, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada - 2 mi.