Charleston, West Virginia: Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Outdoor mini-exhibit on the founding of a fast food chain. The historical plaque credits Alex Schoenbaum with starting what became Shoney's Big Boy as the Parkette Drive-In here in 1947. He expanded his Shoney's chain over 40 years to include 1,900 restaurants.
Parkette Drive In - Shoney's Big Boy
- Charleston, WV
- Just east of US Hwy 60 and the Patrick St. bridge, west end of Kanawha Blvd. as it curves at the river.
Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Visitor Tips and News About Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
At the very west end of Kanawha Blvd., as it curves to join with the Patrick Street bridge, is a lonely structure commemorating the location of the very first Shoney's restaurant. The forgotten Big Boy mascot stands at the top of a pedestal, forever holding up his Big Boy Burger. The sign directing visitors calls it a museum, but there is no inside. Just a few windows full of memorabilia & a plaque giving the history of the restaurant and its founder. I only spotted one tiny keychain bear. I guess he and Big Boy aren't on speaking terms, seeing that the furry guy replaced him.
[Jane Geoh, 07/23/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 1, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Don Knotts Star, Morgantown, West Virginia
- West Virginia State Penitentiary Tour, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Circus and Carnival Mini-Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
- Hillbilly Hot Dogs - We Got the Weenies, Lesage, West Virginia
- International Water Tasting Competition, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Comic Rockstars Toilet Seat Museum, San Francisco, California
- Backyard Golden Gate Bridge Replica, Mulvane, Kansas
- Future Birthplace of James T. Kirk, Riverside, Iowa
- Feature: Mardi Gras World, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Al's Oasis - Big Buffalo, Oacoma, South Dakota
Latest Visitor Tips