Charleston, West Virginia: Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Outdoor mini-exhibit on the founding of a fast food chain. The historical plaque credits Alex Schoenbaum with starting what became Shoney's Big Boy as the Parkette Drive-In here in 1947. He expanded his Shoney's chain over 40 years to include 1,900 restaurants.
Parkette Drive In - Shoney's Big Boy
- Charleston, WV
- Just east of US Hwy 60 and the Patrick St. bridge, west end of Kanawha Blvd. as it curves at the river.
Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Visitor Tips and News About Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
At the very west end of Kanawha Blvd., as it curves to join with the Patrick Street bridge, is a lonely structure commemorating the location of the very first Shoney's restaurant. The forgotten Big Boy mascot stands at the top of a pedestal, forever holding up his Big Boy Burger. The sign directing visitors calls it a museum, but there is no inside. Just a few windows full of memorabilia & a plaque giving the history of the restaurant and its founder. I only spotted one tiny keychain bear. I guess he and Big Boy aren't on speaking terms, seeing that the furry guy replaced him.
[Jane Geoh, 07/23/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 24, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- International Water Tasting Competition, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
- Harpers Ferry Haunted Cottage and Museum of the Supernatural, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
- Bicentennial Radio Telescope, Green Bank, West Virginia
- Chunk of Collapsed Radio Telescope, Green Bank, West Virginia
- Feature: Marx Toy Museum, Moundsville, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Tallest Roadside Tombstone in the U.S., Merced, California
- Rock Animal Zoo, Scottsboro, Alabama
- Pink Skull Rabbit, San Francisco, California
- Surfer Statue, Jacksonville, Florida
- Music Legends in Bronze, Bakersfield, California
Latest Visitor Tips