Charleston, West Virginia: Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Outdoor mini-exhibit on the founding of a fast food chain. The historical plaque credits Alex Schoenbaum with starting what became Shoney's Big Boy as the Parkette Drive-In here in 1947. He expanded his Shoney's chain over 40 years to include 1,900 restaurants.
Parkette Drive In - Shoney's Big Boy
- Charleston, WV
- Just east of US Hwy 60 and the Patrick St. bridge, west end of Kanawha Blvd. as it curves at the river.
Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Visitor Tips and News About Shoney's Big Boy Museum
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
At the very west end of Kanawha Blvd., as it curves to join with the Patrick Street bridge, is a lonely structure commemorating the location of the very first Shoney's restaurant. The forgotten Big Boy mascot stands at the top of a pedestal, forever holding up his Big Boy Burger. The sign directing visitors calls it a museum, but there is no inside. Just a few windows full of memorabilia & a plaque giving the history of the restaurant and its founder. I only spotted one tiny keychain bear. I guess he and Big Boy aren't on speaking terms, seeing that the furry guy replaced him.
[Jane Geoh, 07/23/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
January 27, 2015
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
West Virginia Latest Tips and Stories
- Wheeling Island Flood Memorial Wall, Wheeling, West Virginia
- Front Lawn Giraffe, Bridgeport, West Virginia
- Hillbilly Hot Dogs - We Got the Weenies, Lesage, West Virginia
- John Henry Statue, Talcott, West Virginia
- Giant Coal Miner, Shinnston, West Virginia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- 30-Foot-Tall Native American Head, Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- Zinc Civil War Soldier, Graves of Interest, Iola, Kansas
- Large Bird Fighting a Snake, Fort Pierce, Florida
- Pirate Statue, Otway, North Carolina
- Stuffed Moray Eel in Appliance Store, Glenview, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips