Santa Teresa, New Mexico: Four Atomic Bombs
Four modern and surprisingly small nuclear hellfire weapons: a B57, a B61, and two versions of a B43. They're displayed at the War Eagles Air Museum because two of its planes, an F-84 and A-7, could have carried them. They have been altered so they won't explode.
War Eagles Air Museum
- 8012 Airport Rd, Santa Teresa, NM
- War Eagles Air Museum. At Dona Ana County Airport. I-10 exit 8. Turn west onto Hwy 178/Artcraft Rd. Drive about four miles. Turn right onto Airport Rd. Drive about 1.5 miles. When the pavement ends you've reached the museum, which is on the right.
- T-Su 10-3:30 (Call to verify)
- Adults $5.00
Four Atomic Bombs
Visitor Tips and News About Four Atomic Bombs
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
These nukes are not the car-sized Fat Mans of the 1940s, but sleek, surprisingly small modern-day weapons: a B57, a B61, and two versions of a B43. The B61 was deployed as recently as 2009. The bombs are displayed at the War Eagles Air Museum because two of its display planes, an F-84 and A-7, could have carried them. Not these particular bombs, however; they were driven to the museum from Albuquerque in a car trailer.
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 08/12/2012]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Sierra de Cristo Rey, Christ of the Rockies, Sunland Park, NM - 11 mi.
- National Border Patrol Museum, El Paso, TX - 15 mi.
- Highest Aerial Tramway in the U.S., El Paso, TX - 14 mi.
- In the region: La Posta de Mesilla, Billy the Kid Jail, Mesilla, NM - 28 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 5, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
New Mexico Latest Tips and Stories
- Fiberglass Statues of Hatch, Hatch, New Mexico
- Fox Cave, Glencoe, New Mexico
- Tee Pee Curios, Tucumcari, New Mexico
- Death Site Descanso for Breaking Bad's Walter White, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- The Valley of Fires, Carrizozo, New Mexico
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Bagdad Cafe: Route 66 Icon, Newberry Springs, California
- Ruins of Santa's Land, Santa Claus, Arizona
- Birthplace of John Wayne, Winterset, Iowa
- World's Largest Shuttlecocks, Kansas City, Missouri
- Grave of Talking TV Horse Mr. Ed, Tahlequah, Oklahoma
Latest Visitor Tips