New York, New York: Chief: Firehouse Dog Hero
Chief was a small brown dog adopted by the men of Brooklyn's Engine Company 203 in 1929. Chief rode on the firetruck, slid down the station pole, and is credited with saving a cat and kitten in a fire. Stuffed and displayed at the museum.
New York City Fire Museum
- 278 Spring St., New York, NY
- New York City Fire Museum. Just west of the SoHo district, on the south side of Spring St. between Hudson and Varick Sts.
- Daily 10-5 (Call to verify)
- Adults $8
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Firehouse Stuffed Dog Hero
Visitor Tips and News About Chief: Firehouse Dog Hero
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Firehouse dog "Chief" was injured several times in the line of duty helping in rescues -- once even saving some kittens from a fire! He was given medals and continued working until he was hit by a car in front of the firehouse in 1939. Story goes, as he was dying, the fire alarm sounded and he bounded up onto his engine seat and died on the spot.
He was stuffed and on display in the firehouse for decades before moving to the permanent collection of the Fire Museum, downtown Manhattan.
[Chris Garcia, 10/02/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 26, 2014
New York Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame, Amsterdam, New York
- Goose Haven - Big Metal Goose, Montezuma, New York
- Statue of the Inventor of Buffalo Wings, Buffalo, New York
- Big Metal Dragon, East Bethany, New York
- Armored Knight, Batavia, New York
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Animals, Cowboys, and More, Alamo, California
- Fat Smitty's, Port Townsend, Washington
- Bandy's Troll Haven, Sequim, Washington
- Paul Bunyan and Babe Statue, Brainerd, Minnesota
- Museum of Creativity, Clawson, Utah
Latest Visitor Tips