Anchorage, Alaska: Whale Drowns Men StatueThe dark side of a everyone's favorite giant sea mammal is explored in this public sculpture.
The Last Blue Whale
- 301 K Street, Anchorage, AK
- The Last Blue Whale. K Street, between 3rd & 4th avenue.
Visitor Tips and News About Whale Drowns Men Statue
Here's a photo of the victims of the "The Last Blue Whale" -- the men in the two boats the whale is flipping over.[K. McLay, 07/10/2007]
Visitor map info calls this "The Last Blue Whale".[Adam Scott Lankford, 05/04/2007]
The giant bronze, sculpted by artist Joseph Priniciotti in 1973, provides an interesting perspective -- while battered whalers squabble with the creature's tail above the metal ripples level with the building's third floor, the whale can eye locals at sidewalk level.
In front of the Carr-Gottstein building, across from the courthouse, is a huge outdoor sculpture of a whale and whaling boats. Look closely: the whale has glass taxidermy eyes (very real looking). Look very closely and you'll notice that the little men in the whaling boats are being drowned by the whale! It has successfully overturned one boat and its expression seems to say it's pleased. I didn't notice the men until I worked in the building and could see it closely from the third floor windows..[Drew dekreon, 09/09/2001]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Parking Garage Tribute to Captain Cook Voyages, Anchorage, AK - < 1 mi.
- Northernmost U.S. Monument to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Anchorage, AK - < 1 mi.
- Sun and Scale Model of Solar System, Anchorage, AK - < 1 mi.
- Chrome Bear, Anchorage, AK - 3 mi.