Fort Rock, Oregon: Fort Rock
Volcanic "tuff ring," about 200 ft. tall on a dry lake bed, got its name from its resemblance to a walled fortification. horizon. Nice walking trail that walks through and around the crater. Next to Hole In The Ground, a similar formation.
Fort Rock State Natural Area
- Fort Rock Road, Fort Rock, OR
- 70 mi. south of Bend via US Hwy 97 then west on Hwy 31, turn left/north at Fort Rock on Cabin Lake Rd, then left on CR-5-11A to Fort Rock State Natural Area.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Visitor Tips and News About Fort Rock
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
To the west of Fort Rock is Cow Cave, the site of the famous dig showing Oregon's original inhabitants 13,000 years ago. Also visit the recreated old town site. [Les Tibbetts, 07/09/2014]
Unique geological formation caused by volcanic eruption and the water it hit when the lava reaches the surface. Super cool sight to see, surrounded by flat lake bed so it sort of pops up on the horizon. Nice walking trail that walks through and around the crater. Next to Hole In The Ground, a similar formation. [Christina Rensch, 06/06/2014]
April 30, 2017
Oregon Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: A&W Root Beer Family, Hillsboro, Oregon
- Der Rheinlander German-Themed Restaurant, Portland, Oregon
- Sumpter Valley Dredge State Historic Area, Sumpter, Oregon
- Pioneer Museum: Taxidermy Room, Tillamook, Oregon
- Sit with Rosa Parks, Eugene, Oregon
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- The Chairy Orchard, Denton, Texas
- Toy and Action Figure Museum, Pauls Valley, Oklahoma
- Giant Purple Face of Prince, Chanhassen, Minnesota
- Halfwit Muffler Man, Holmeson, New Jersey
- Vietnam Memorial, Mineral Wells, Texas