Americus, Georgia: Habitat for Humanity's Slum Theme Park
Habitat for Humanity Global Village & Discovery Center
- 721 W. Church St., Americus, GA
- Habitat for Humanity Global Village & Discovery Center. From Forsyth St./Hwy 49, turn south at Jones Paint & Body onto Dudley St. Drive three blocks, veering right. Turn left onto International Blvd. Habitat will be on right.
- M-F 9 am - 5 pm year round. Sa 10 am - 2 pm Mar-Nov (Call to verify)
- Free (donations appreciated)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
A six-acre village of replica third world slums, built by Habitat for Humanity to show Americans how bad the living conditions can be. Roadsideamerica.com Report...
Visitor Tips and News About Habitat for Humanity's Slum Theme Park
On June 7th, 2003, Habitat for Humanity, an ecumenical Christian ministry, opens the Global Village and Discovery Center next to its headquarters in Americus, Georgia. The non-profit house-building organization has created replica third world slums to show how people live in "miserable conditions." After passing through this "Living in Poverty" section, visitors will see dozens of examples of HofH's own low cost housing solutions.... [06/03/2003] Complete News Story
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Statue of Charles Lindbergh, Wing-Walker, Americus, GA - 4 mi.
- Jimmy Carter Peanut, Plains, GA - 9 mi.
- Jimmy Carter High School Museum, Plains, GA - 9 mi.
- In the region: Revolving Bronze Sculpture of Ray Charles, With Music, Albany, GA - 35 mi.