Irwinville, Georgia: Where Jefferson Davis Was CapturedA bronze bust marks the spot where the Confederate President was captured by Union forces on May 10, 1865. The property owner gave the land to the state of Georgia with the understanding that, "no Yankee ever own this hallowed ground."
- 338 Jeff Davis Park Rd, Irwinville, GA
- I-75 exit 78. Drive east 14 miles on Hwy. 32 to Irwinville. Turn left on Jeff Davis Park Rd and drive one mile to the site, on left. Site is toward back of property, topped by a big bust and surrounded by benches for contemplation.
Visitor Tips and News About Where Jefferson Davis Was Captured
The State of Georgia has reacquired the 13-acre site in Irwinville, GA, where Confederate President Jefferson Davis was captured by Union forces on May 10, 1865. It will be promoted as a tourist attraction, officials say.... [05/11/1997] Complete News Story
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Downtown Wild Chickens - Festival, Fitzgerald, GA - 9 mi.
- World's Largest Peanut, Ashburn, GA - 15 mi.
- Congo's Taxidermy, Ashburn, GA - 16 mi.
- In the region: Revolving Bronze Sculpture of Ray Charles, With Music, Albany, GA - 45 mi.