Hatteras, North Carolina: Graveyard of the Atlantic MuseumFittingly built in a spot where a large quantity of ships have sunk.
- 59200 Museum Dr., Hatteras, NC
- In Hatteras Village, the southernmost community on Hatteras Island. Just south of the ferry terminal on Hwy 12.
- Apr-Oct. M-Sa 10-4; Nov-Mar. M-F 10-4 (Call to verify)
- Free, donations appreciated.
Visitor Tips and News About Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum
Museum of artifacts from different shipwrecks along the Outer Banks coastline. Also has the original light from the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. There's a gift shop on site with some very nice items.[Etta Miller, 05/15/2014]
A half-finished ship-shaped building in Hatteras Village, NC may never house the complete Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum unless more funds are raised, according to recent news reports. Since 1999, work has progressed to create a unique public home in the Outer Banks on the southern tip of Hatteras Island telling the story of myriad sunken wrecks.... [08/12/2003] Complete News Story
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Outer Banks UFO House, Frisco, NC - 6 mi.
- British Cemetery on U.S. Soil #2, Buxton, NC - 10 mi.
- America's Tallest Lighthouse - Climb It, Buxton, NC - 10 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Replica of World's Largest Lighthouse, East Lake, NC - 52 mi.