Tupelo, Mississippi: Birthplace of Elvis
Elvis Presley Birthplace and Museum
- 306 Elvis Presley Drive, Tupelo, MS
- Elvis Presley Birthplace and Museum. East side of town. US Hwy 45 exit at E Main St., then east about a half-mile to Elvis Presley Drive. North two blocks to the house.
- M-Sa 9-5, Su 1-5 (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Major Fun
Visit the tiny two-room shack where the King was born -- then stroll the grounds to take in the statue, museum, and Elvis's first church. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [01/06/2013]
Visitor Tips and News About Birthplace of Elvis
The tombstone of Jessie Garon, the stillborn twin of Elvis Presley, is on site.[Donna Colter, 09/10/2014]
Well worth the price of admission. You get a nice little tour of the two-room house where Elvis was born. Plenty of fun![James The Route Pro, 07/06/2013]
Elvis's father built the house where he was born. It is really tiny.[Katharine Chestnut, 07/04/2010]
Mar. 2013: The attraction attributes the construction of the 2-room house to Elvis's father, grandfather and uncle. Hilary W. writes: "Contemporary photos of the house at the time Elvis would have lived there show a row of typical mill houses. These type of houses were (and sometimes still are) quite common in the South. The family was deeply in debt and skipped town in the middle of the night. This was also a very typical occurrence for those who 'owed their soul to the company store' during this period."
The Assembly of God Church, where Elvis attended as a young boy, has been moved to the birthplace and restored. A film is shown depicting Elvis' early musical influences.[Thom Eason, 01/30/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Cheeseburger Booth of Elvis, Tupelo, MS - < 1 mi.
- Cars of Elvis and Liberace, Tupelo, MS - 1 mi.
- Touch the Hand of Elvis, Tupelo, MS - 1 mi.
- In the region: Birthplace of Angsty Playwright Tennessee Williams, Columbus, MS - 55 mi.