Tupelo, Mississippi: Where Elvis Got His First Guitar
- 114 W. Main St., Tupelo, MS
- Tupelo Hardware. East side of downtown. US Hwy 45 to the E. Main St. exit, then west several blocks. North side, between Front and Spring Sts. Just west of the railroad tracks.
- M-F 7-5:30, Sa 7-noon (Call to verify)
His mama bought it at Tupelo Hardware on his 11th birthday. Get a souvenir Elvis yardstick! Yes, there's a historical marker out front. Roadsideamerica.com Report... [01/06/2013]
Visitor Tips and News About Where Elvis Got His First Guitar
Tupelo Hardware is a charming little "old fashioned" hardware store. It's where "Gladys bought her son his first guitar." They can't say Elvis bought his first guitar here because they would have to get licensing and pay EP enterprises. You can buy keychains, t-shirts and yardsticks which say "Tupelo Hardware - where Glady bought her son his first guitar." If you step up to the counter in this place one of the guys will give you the story of Elvis and his Mama coming in on his 12th birthday and will show you the model he wound up with.[rhonda bartlett, 10/25/2003]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Touch the Hand of Elvis, Tupelo, MS - < 1 mi.
- Cars of Elvis and Liberace, Tupelo, MS - < 1 mi.
- Cheeseburger Booth of Elvis, Tupelo, MS - 1 mi.
- In the region: Birthplace of Angsty Playwright Tennessee Williams, Columbus, MS - 55 mi.