Posing in front of its sign is a unique photo-op, but you really have to want to see this place to drive all the way out to it.
- 925 Lake St., Gay, MI
- Take Hwy 26 to Lake Linden, turn east onto 9th St., drive a half-mile, turn left (north) onto Traprock Valley Rd, drive 1.5 miles, turn right (east) onto Gay Rd. Drive 10.5 miles to Gay. The bar is on the south side of 2nd St.
- Opens 11 am, Su Noon. (Call to verify)
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Gay Bar - Stamping Mill Ruins
Visitor Tips and News About Gay Bar
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
I found something more interesting in Gay than the Gay Bar. If you look north from the Gay Bar, you'll see a giant smokestack a couple blocks away. It's part of an extensive ruin of an old stamping mill (where they crushed iron ore for shipping). It was pretty big. Behind the ruins are miles of red dunes (they just dumped the waste into the lake). It's now being mined for road construction. That's why the roads in the U.P. have a pinkish tinge.
[Jim Barfuss, 04/20/2011]
I took a trip to Gay, Michigan last weekend and snapped a photo of the Gay Bar. Thought you might enjoy it.
[Paul McLeod, 11/15/2002]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 24, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Michigan Latest Tips and Stories
- Big Steer and Cool Moose, Almont, Michigan
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Pioneer Mother: a Mom-ument, Clare, Michigan
- Statue of Pope John Paul II, Hamtramck, Michigan
- World's Oldest and Least Flattering McKinley Statue, Muskegon, Michigan
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Housewife-Whacking Meteor Fell Here, Oak Grove, Alabama
- Feature: Alabama's Housewife-Whacking Meteorite, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Blue Whale, Catoosa, Oklahoma
- Biloxi Katrina Trees, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Grave of Sam Kinison, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Latest Visitor Tips