Atlantic City, New Jersey - Chicken Bone Beach
Visitor Tips and News About Chicken Bone Beach
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Down on the Atlantic City boardwalk there is a lot of history and some weird spots that I have come across. A small section of the beach that is located in front of both Caesars casino and the Wild West casino is known as Chicken Bone Beach. From the early 1900s through the 1950s, African Americans were socially restricted to this section of the beach. It was nicknamed Chicken Bone Beach due to the fact that many daytrippers at this time came to the beach with fried chicken lunches in their picnic baskets, leaving behind the bones. Both Sammy Davis Jr. and Moms Mabley were known to visit as well as perform on the beach. Today it has been designated as a local historic site and they also have a plaque dedicated to preserving its heritage and memory.
[Mike Vlkovic, 08/02/2004]
Chicken Bone Beach:
Address: Atlantic City, NJ
Directions: Missouri Avenue vicinity.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 24, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
New Jersey Latest Tips and Stories
- White Buddha Statue, Princeton, New Jersey
- Camp Evans and Marconi Hotel, Wall, New Jersey
- Feature: Atomic Fallout Shelter Theater, Wall Township, New Jersey
- US Army Parachute Test Platoon Monument, Robbinsville, New Jersey
- Muffler Man - Rodeo Cowboy, Woodstown, New Jersey
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Tallest Roadside Tombstone in the U.S., Merced, California
- Rock Animal Zoo, Scottsboro, Alabama
- Pink Skull Rabbit, San Francisco, California
- Surfer Statue, Jacksonville, Florida
- Music Legends in Bronze, Bakersfield, California
Latest Visitor Tips