Gaylord, Michigan: Call of the Wild MuseumOver 60 displays of woodland creatures, stuffed and positioned just like in nature.
Call of the Wild and Bavarian Falls Park
- 850 S. Wisconsin, Gaylord, MI
- Call of the Wild and Bavarian Falls Park. I-75 exit 282, turn east, go about three blocks, turn right on Wisconsin Ave., go about six blocks, Call of the Wild is on the west side, next to the freeway.
- Summer daily 9 am- 9 pm, Winter 9 am - 6 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Call of the Wild Museum
I grew up in Gaylord, and the Call of the Wild Museum was the big tourist stop! Not only is Gaylord an Alpine-themed town (Alpenfest-a bavarian festival with more polka bands than you can handle-is always the 3rd week in July), but the Call of the Wild is an icon! It's right off I-75 and you can't miss the stuffed (tanned) deer and elk on the roof, next to the sign!
The whole museum is all dead animals native to northern Michigan, tanned and stuffed and a few you can actually pick up and/or pet! You start by following the bear tracks thru the place. They lead you to all the exhibits. Kids have a blast in there! Then you exit thru the gift/fudge shop (well placed!! LOL) It's been there for years and years! (Some of the animals and exhibits are the same ones I remember as a kid!)It's cheesy, but kinda cool! They've added Bavarian Falls Park - mini-golf/go karts right next to the place. Fun for the kids! $6 for a year's pass!!! Gotta love it![Cindy Anderson, 08/17/2005]
Call of the Wild opened in 1965, the dream of traveling salesman Carl Johnson, whose kids and grandkids run the place now. Put a cow horn to your ear to hear animal howls; follow the paw prints of Pokey the sleeping stuffed bear around the museum. Kids love it.
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Huge Bottle of Beer, Gaylord, MI - < 1 mi.
- Halfway Marker - 45th Parallel, Gaylord, MI - 1 mi.
- Rustic 45th Parallel Marker, Gaylord, MI - 4 mi.
- In the region: Monument to the Dean of Michigan's Tourism Activity, Kewadin, MI - 33 mi.