New Athens, Ohio: Bucket of Silver Spade (Gone)
The giant scoop of America's last monster earth-moving machine.
Giant Shovel Scrapped, Bucket Saved
Visitor Tips and News About Bucket of Silver Spade
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Beginning in 1965, a giant mechanical shovel named Silver Spade, weighing 14 million pounds and standing taller than a 12-story building, began chewing its way through eastern Ohio. For over 40 years the behemoth scoured the countryside for surface coal, outlasting rivals such as Big Brutus and Big Muskie, to become the world's last operating "super stripper."
... [02/09/2007] Complete News Story
February 23, 2017
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- World's Largest Claw Machine, Dayton, Ohio
- Hike Quickly Over Uranium Nuke Plant Waste, Harrison, Ohio
- Statue of George W. Bush: No Child Left Behind, Hamilton, Ohio
- Worden's Ledges, Hinckley, Ohio
- Quilted Rock, Celina, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Whirligigs - Wind Sculptures, Buffalo, New York
- Lark Toys, Kellogg, Minnesota
- Four Atomic Bombs, Santa Teresa, New Mexico
- King of Catfish, Lampasas, Texas
- Mug Tree, Yale, Illinois