New Athens, Ohio: Bucket of Silver Spade (Gone)
The giant scoop of America's last monster earth-moving machine.
Giant Shovel Scrapped, Bucket Saved
Visitor Tips and News About Bucket of Silver Spade
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Beginning in 1965, a giant mechanical shovel named Silver Spade, weighing 14 million pounds and standing taller than a 12-story building, began chewing its way through eastern Ohio. For over 40 years the behemoth scoured the countryside for surface coal, outlasting rivals such as Big Brutus and Big Muskie, to become the world's last operating "super stripper."
... [02/09/2007] Complete News Story
October 26, 2016
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Mac-A-Cheek Castle, West Liberty, Ohio
- Statue of the Flying Housewife, Columbus, Ohio
- Giant Tomato Soup Can, Napoleon, Ohio
- Alan Freed - Juke Box Hero Tombstone, Cleveland, Ohio
- MLK Heads on a Chrome Orb, Toledo, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Sam Spade's Office, Winters, California
- Ghost Town Where The Andromeda Strain was Filmed, Shafter, Texas
- Abandoned Jail and Wedding Chapel, Laurel Springs, North Carolina
- Shoe Tree, Kalkaska, Michigan
- North Charleston Fire Museum, North Charleston, South Carolina