New Athens, Ohio: Bucket of Silver Spade (Gone)
The giant scoop of America's last monster earth-moving machine.
Giant Shovel Scrapped, Bucket Saved
Visitor Tips and News About Bucket of Silver Spade
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Beginning in 1965, a giant mechanical shovel named Silver Spade, weighing 14 million pounds and standing taller than a 12-story building, began chewing its way through eastern Ohio. For over 40 years the behemoth scoured the countryside for surface coal, outlasting rivals such as Big Brutus and Big Muskie, to become the world's last operating "super stripper."
... [02/09/2007] Complete News Story
May 25, 2015
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Fierce Lake Erie Shark, Port Clinton, Ohio
- Walleye Capital of the World, Port Clinton, Ohio
- Prehistoric Forest and Mystery Hill, Marblehead, Ohio
- Concrete Front Yard Rhino, Zanesville, Ohio
- Watch House and Circle Mound, Dublin, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Korean War Foxhole, San Antonio, Texas
- Feature: National WWII Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Buckhorn Hall of Horns, San Antonio, Texas
- Tin Man from Oz, Readfield, Wisconsin
- Cave Restaurant, Richland, Missouri