New Athens, Ohio: Bucket of Silver Spade (Gone)
The giant scoop of America's last monster earth-moving machine.
Giant Shovel Scrapped, Bucket Saved
Visitor Tips and News About Bucket of Silver Spade
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Beginning in 1965, a giant mechanical shovel named Silver Spade, weighing 14 million pounds and standing taller than a 12-story building, began chewing its way through eastern Ohio. For over 40 years the behemoth scoured the countryside for surface coal, outlasting rivals such as Big Brutus and Big Muskie, to become the world's last operating "super stripper."
... [02/09/2007] Complete News Story
December 5, 2016
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Home of Superman Plaque, Cleveland, Ohio
- Ever-Changing Rock Sculpture - Trump, Mutual, Ohio
- President James Garfield Castle, Other Graves, Cleveland, Ohio
- Mac-A-Cheek Castle, West Liberty, Ohio
- Statue of the Flying Housewife, Columbus, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Samurai Sword of Pilot Who Bombed Oregon, Brookings, Oregon
- Hole N' The Rock And The Stuffed Donkey, Moab, Utah
- Goblin Valley - Galaxy Quest Planet And Fun Photo Op, Green River, Utah
- Kelly's Muffler Car, Paradise, California
- Giraffe Bursts Through Roof, Aurora, Illinois