New Athens, Ohio: Bucket of Silver Spade (Gone)
The giant scoop of America's last monster earth-moving machine.
Giant Shovel Scrapped, Bucket Saved
Visitor Tips and News About Bucket of Silver Spade
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Beginning in 1965, a giant mechanical shovel named Silver Spade, weighing 14 million pounds and standing taller than a 12-story building, began chewing its way through eastern Ohio. For over 40 years the behemoth scoured the countryside for surface coal, outlasting rivals such as Big Brutus and Big Muskie, to become the world's last operating "super stripper."
... [02/09/2007] Complete News Story
April 30, 2016
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Terrifying Blue Baby, Hamilton, Ohio
- Shoe Tree, Bainbridge, Ohio
- Kitchenaid Factory Tour, Greenville, Ohio
- French Town Murals, Versailles, Ohio
- Tow Mater, Burbank, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Clyde's Gun, Spanky's Pants, Dallas, Texas
- Iowa's Largest Muskie, Ventura, Iowa
- Birthplace of Johnny Cash, Kingsland, Arkansas
- Big Orange, Flamingo Groves Gift Shop, Dania Beach, Florida
- Bird Wash, Eagle River, Alaska