New Athens, Ohio: Bucket of Silver Spade (Gone)
The giant scoop of America's last monster earth-moving machine.
Giant Shovel Scrapped, Bucket Saved
Visitor Tips and News About Bucket of Silver Spade
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Beginning in 1965, a giant mechanical shovel named Silver Spade, weighing 14 million pounds and standing taller than a 12-story building, began chewing its way through eastern Ohio. For over 40 years the behemoth scoured the countryside for surface coal, outlasting rivals such as Big Brutus and Big Muskie, to become the world's last operating "super stripper."
... [02/09/2007] Complete News Story
September 2, 2015
Ohio Latest Tips and Stories
- Fountain of Big Rare Books, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Lonely Putt-Putt Giraffe, Ontario, Ohio
- John Wesley Powell Memorial, Jackson, Ohio
- Drive-Thru Barn, Valley City, Ohio
- Giant Praying Mantis, Columbus, Ohio
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Uniroyal Gal in California, Hayward, California
- E.T. Fresh Jerky, Hiko, Nevada
- Uranus Fudge Factory, Uranus, Missouri
- Storybook Island, Rapid City, South Dakota
- Folk Art Park, Atlanta, Georgia