Dayton, Ohio Attractions
Unusual landmarks, museums, roadside attractions, and hidden wonders in Dayton and the surrounding area. Dayton is the hometown of aviation whiz kids Orville and Wilbur Wright. Outside the city is the vast (and free) U.S. Air Force Museum, and a monument to the theory that the Earth is hollow -- which would make flying from one side to the other much quicker.
Sights for Oddball Excursions
Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
The coolest jets, the biggest bombs, Ham the Astrochimp's underwear, and the leather bomber jacket of Jackie Coogan (TV's Uncle Fester).
In the basement of a local museum is the head of the ultimate freak bull, Andy D-Day, and his sidekick the 2-headed calf.
Harry Andrews was a bachelor and recluse who spent over 50 years building a medieval-style castle in Ohio for his "boy knights."
No actual flame -- that's in Arlington, Virginia -- but a weird sculpture that makes it look as if JFK is being turned to ash, apparently by his own incandescence.
Playful brainchild of store owner Jim Bonaminio, the elaborate, animated displays distract children long enough for parents to complete shopping.
In and Around Dayton
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of Ohio attractions.
- Hamilton: Hollow Earth Monument
- Fairfield: Jungle Jim's International Market
- Dayton: Wright Brothers Flyover [tips]
- Dayton: 1905 Wright Flyer III [tips]
- Dayton: Big Apple Made of Flatware [tips]
- Dayton: Kennedy's Eternal Flame
- Dayton: Carousel of Inventions, Wright Bros. Airplane [tips]
- Wright Patterson AFB: National Museum of the United States Air Force
- Wright Patterson AFB: Kennedy Assassination Air Force One
- Beavercreek: 9/11 Memorial - WTC Beams [tips]
- Centerville: Tall Stack of Books [tips]
- Miamisburg: Miamisburg Burial Mound [tips]
- Fairborn: Foy's Halloween Stores [tips]
- Troy: Outdoor Musical Contraption [tips]
- Brookville: Andy D-Day and the 2-Headed Calf
- Carlisle: Futuro - Mating Flying Saucer House [tips]
- Lebanon: Ohio's Oldest Hotel - Owned by Senator, Haunted
- Clifton: Gorge of Lights, Busy Santa [tips]
- Franklin: Poland China Hog Monument [tips]
- Monroe: Giant Hug Me Jesus [tips]
- Monroe: Anatomically-Correct Horses and Too Many Giraffes [tips]