Westonia, Mississippi: Lunar LanderMounted on a set of stilts, this Lunar Lander trainer was the only one that the crew of Apollo 13 ever used as a Lander, since they never made it onto the moon.
Mississippi Welcome Center
- Hwy 607, Westonia, MS
- I-10 exit 2. Drive south on Hwy 607, then immediately turn right into the Mississippi Welcome Center. Stay to the right all the way until you reach the parking area. The pathway to the LEM will be on the right.
Visitor Tips and News About Lunar Lander
We enjoyed the Lunar Lander photo op, and it wasn't far off the interstate.[Tosha N, 07/15/2014]
Easy to get to off the interstate. Nice rest stop! Try to make time to go to the museum [in the Mississippi Welcome Center].[Sandra Mitchell, 01/04/2013]
Nice display and the kids love it. The lunar lander is set up high in the air, making it impossible for photo ops, but it's still worth seeing.[William, 07/19/2012]
A 30-foot-tall replica of a Lunar Lander used as a trainer by the Apollo 13 astronauts. Apollo 13 astronaut and Mississippi native Fred Haise left space-boot prints and a signature in concrete at the base of the exhibit.
Might not be the best photo op during a lightning storm.[Heather and Eric, 04/27/2007]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Hurricane Katrina High Water Marker, Bay St. Louis, MS - 11 mi.
- Jayne Mansfield Died Here, Slidell, LA - 19 mi.
- Fisherman's Castle on Irish Bayou, New Orleans, LA - 20 mi.
- In the region: Fats Domino's Waterlogged Piano and other Katrina Relics, New Orleans, LA - 37 mi.