Rochester, New York: Daredevil Death Site
Sam Patch went over Niagara Falls and lived, then he went over Rochester's High Falls... and died.
- Commercial St., Rochester, NY
- Pont de Rennes pedestrian bridge, off Browns Race in Rochester's High Falls district. Balcony at Terrace Park at the end of Commercial St.
Daredevil Death Site
Visitor Tips and News About Daredevil Death Site
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sam Patch gained world-wide fame for jumping over Niagara Falls, and becoming its first known survivor. On November 13th, 1829, when the daredevil attempted to do the same with Rochester's High Falls, before an audience of 8,000, Patch met his watery grave.
Visitors to the falls can get a view similar to Sam Patch's last by visiting "The Leap," a balcony built over the gorge at Terrace Park (at the end of Commercial St.) that was named in memory of Sam Patch. There is also a museum on Browns Race that explains all about this. [Wes, 09/28/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 22, 2014
New York Latest Tips and Stories
- Grieving Gold Star Mother Statue, Carmel, New York
- Big Moose Country Store, Hoosick, New York
- Big Pair of Pants, Homer, New York
- Whirligigs, Buffalo, New York
- World's Largest Six Pack, Buffalo, New York
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Church With a Rock In It, Mentone, Alabama
- Space Station Museum - Moon Holiday, Novato, California
- Architectural DNA, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- U.S. Arsenal Ghost Tower, Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Eat BBQ in a Bus Station, Columbus, Georgia
Latest Visitor Tips