Rochester, New York: Daredevil Death Site
Sam Patch went over Niagara Falls and lived, then he went over Rochester's High Falls... and died.
- Commercial St., Rochester, NY
- Pont de Rennes pedestrian bridge, off Browns Race in Rochester's High Falls district. Balcony at Terrace Park at the end of Commercial St.
Daredevil Death Site
Visitor Tips and News About Daredevil Death Site
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Sam Patch gained world-wide fame for jumping over Niagara Falls, and becoming its first known survivor. On November 13th, 1829, when the daredevil attempted to do the same with Rochester's High Falls, before an audience of 8,000, Patch met his watery grave.
Visitors to the falls can get a view similar to Sam Patch's last by visiting "The Leap," a balcony built over the gorge at Terrace Park (at the end of Commercial St.) that was named in memory of Sam Patch. There is also a museum on Browns Race that explains all about this. [Wes, 09/28/2009]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 24, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
New York Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame, Amsterdam, New York
- Goose Haven - Big Metal Goose, Montezuma, New York
- Statue of the Inventor of Buffalo Wings, Buffalo, New York
- Big Metal Dragon, East Bethany, New York
- Armored Knight, Batavia, New York
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cateraptasaurus, Rosedale, Maryland
- Mother Mary's Totem, San Luis, Colorado
- Penobscot Narrows Observatory and Bridge, Prospect, Maine
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips