Bemidji, Minnesota: Chief Bemidji Statue - Gone
Chief Bemidji, namesake of the city, was built of wood and concrete by a retired lumberjack. For 62 years he kept a watchful eye on Bemidji, but the ungrateful town dragged him away in July 2014.
- Dragged off the street in July 2014 and banished to the Beltrami County History Center.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Bemidji, Minnesota - Old Chief Faces New Foes In Bemidji
Chief Bemidji Statue:
For a hundred years a statue of Chief Bemidji has stood in his namesake city of Bemidji, Minnesota. The current Chief has looked out over Lake Bemidjigamaug since 1952, replacing an earlier model that had fallen apart. [03/22/2010] Complete Story...
Visitor Tips and News About Chief Bemidji Statue - Gone
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Shaynowishkung, or Chief Bemidji, was an Indian chief of the Ojibwe Indians. The original statue stood in Library Park until it became weathered. It was replaced in 1952 and coated with fiberglass to protect it from the elements. [Anne Hantz, 06/28/2014]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Niiemii - Dancing Indian, Bemidji, MN - < 1 mi.
- Green Mr. Hockey Statue, Bemidji, MN - < 1 mi.
- Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe, Bemidji, MN - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Emmaville Store, Population 4, Emmaville, MN - 28 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 22, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Bunyan's Adirondack Chair, But No Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Stick Your Head in the Lion Mouth, Brainerd, Minnesota
- Wild Thing Hay Bales, Brainerd, Minnesota
- The Hairy Mosquito, Milaca, Minnesota
- Brick Head, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cateraptasaurus, Rosedale, Maryland
- Mother Mary's Totem, San Luis, Colorado
- Penobscot Narrows Observatory and Bridge, Prospect, Maine
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips