Bemidji, Minnesota: Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe
A statue of the big Indian -- actually a repurposed Muffler Man -- who beat Paul Bunyan to death with a fish. At least, according to Anishinaabeg tradition.
- 337 Bemidji Ave., Bemidji, MN
- On the west side of Hwy 197/Bemidji Ave. N. between 3rd and 4th Sts NW. Outside of an Indian handicrafts store, and across the street from the boxy Paul Bunyan and Babe statues.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe
Visitor Tips and News About Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The Indian positioned across the street from Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox is a standard brave model Muffler Man with upraised arm. [RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 01/01/2008]
Nanabozho, Paul Bunyan's Foe
I live in Bemidji, Minnesota, and I had no idea that there were so many other Bunyans out there! You're right about him not caring about ecosystems: according to Chippewa legend, he was so greedy about ripping down all the trees that Nanabozho [previous tip sp.: Nanabojo], a Native American, stopped him by beating him to death with a big fish after several weeks of fighting. A statue of Nanabozho stands across the road from Paul Bunyan in Bemidji. At least this is how I remember the story; what I know for sure is that you never seem to hear that side anywhere. [Christine, 07/12/1997]
Muffler Man - Indian
Bemidji has a Muffler Man outside the Wolf Trading Post, only a block from their Bunyan.
[Robert Tubbs, 11/16/1996]
April 25, 2015
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Abandoned Insane Asylum, Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- Hot Sam's Shark and Guitar, Lakeville, Minnesota
- Sprout, Jolly Green Giant's Bud, Blue Earth, Minnesota
- Famous Aerial Lift Bridge, Duluth, Minnesota
- The Minnehaha Bunny, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Dinosaur Town With Volcano Toilets, Granger, Washington
- Bridge that Inspired "It's A Wonderful Life", Seneca Falls, New York
- Barbadilla, Giant Texas Armadillo, Buffalo Gap, Texas
- Smiling Car Parts Man, Columbus, Ohio
- Sheboygan Indian Mound Park, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Latest Visitor Tips