Bemidji, Minnesota: Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe
A statue of the big Indian -- actually a repurposed Muffler Man -- who beat Paul Bunyan to death with a fish. At least, according to Anishinaabeg tradition.
- 337 Bemidji Ave., Bemidji, MN
- On the west side of Hwy 197/Bemidji Ave. N. between 3rd and 4th Sts NW. Outside of an Indian handicrafts store, and across the street from the boxy Paul Bunyan and Babe statues.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe
Visitor Tips and News About Nanabozho, Bunyan's Muffler Man Foe
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The Indian positioned across the street from Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox is a standard brave model Muffler Man with upraised arm. [RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 01/01/2008]
Nanabozho, Paul Bunyan's Foe
I live in Bemidji, Minnesota, and I had no idea that there were so many other Bunyans out there! You're right about him not caring about ecosystems: according to Chippewa legend, he was so greedy about ripping down all the trees that Nanabozho [previous tip sp.: Nanabojo], a Native American, stopped him by beating him to death with a big fish after several weeks of fighting. A statue of Nanabozho stands across the road from Paul Bunyan in Bemidji. At least this is how I remember the story; what I know for sure is that you never seem to hear that side anywhere. [Christine, 07/12/1997]
Muffler Man - Indian
Bemidji has a Muffler Man outside the Wolf Trading Post, only a block from their Bunyan.
[Robert Tubbs, 11/16/1996]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 1, 2014
Minnesota Latest Tips and Stories
- Paul Bunyan's Marble, Chisholm, Minnesota
- Paul Bunyan and Babe Statue, Brainerd, Minnesota
- Bunyan's Adirondack Chair, But No Tin Man, Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Stick Your Head in the Lion Mouth, Brainerd, Minnesota
- Wild Thing Hay Bales, Brainerd, Minnesota
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Wolf's Museum of Mystery, St. Augustine, Florida
- Yellow Submarine, Hobart, Washington
- Dinosaur Ridge, Morrison, Colorado
- Detroit Chimera Graffiti Mural, Detroit, Michigan
- Lizard Butte, Marsing, Idaho
Latest Visitor Tips