Roadside America: A tribe of titans, made of fiberglass and 14 to 25 feet tall, stands watch along the vibrant roadside landscape. They include lumberjacks, cowboys, and Indians, but the first statues we spotted held big car mufflers, so we named them "Muffler Men."
- Copeland, OK: A 1960s era cowboy Muffler Man, out of the public eye in SC for nearly four decades, was bought in 2015 and erected in front of an Oklahoma antiques business. [1/20/2017]
- Pocatello, ID - World's Largest Janitor: The Museum of Clean reports finishing conversion of their Muffler Man (a cowboy purchased and moved from Rockvale, Montana) into a giant cleaning professional. [1/18/2017]
- Battle Mountain, NV Run Down: An out-of-control pickup hit a building and the 14-ft. tall M-Man, severing his ankles and arm (which holds a firecracker). Roller Coaster Red had been erected just four months earlier. [10/31/2016]
- Boston MA Area Indian: A previously unreported Indian style figure, resurrected from a barn after 20 years, may be restored and put on display. [10/31/2016]
- 20 years of relentless pursuit! We started posting our Muffler Men Tracking Project in 1996 (after over a decade of spotty road trip encounters). Tipster sightings of more giants poured in from all over the U.S. We made a chart, the chart got bigger, we made a map, the map got ridiculous. Thanks, intrepid M-Men spotters, for two decades of highway vigilance!
Check for recent eyewitness tips and leads on Muffler Men, Uniroyal Gals and their ilk.
Learn the types and characteristics of classics, hybrids, mutants -- their postures, their accessories, and their imitators. Hone your spotter skills!
Our specially configured Muffler Men Map reveals a happy continent of fiberglass giants. The original tracking chart lingers, full of our research and travelers' reports since we created the Muffler Men Home Page in 1996.
Where do they come from? Our interview with someone who really knows the "Origin of the Species."
Friend or foe? Biding their time for 50 years, true intent and machinations are still hazy to the non-fiberglass population.
Emerging Breeds, Related Roadside Giants, Competing Species
- Auto Parts Sculptures: Some call these "muffler men," too. Bah!
- Big Friend Extermination: The shame of the advertising industry.
- Uniroyal Gals: Perky Jackie Kennedy lookalikes.
- Frankenmuffler: Hard to explain.
- Big in Pictures: Bit parts for Muffler Man in movies and TV.
- Strange Sentries: Excursions across the border.
- True Tales: Accounts and revelations from the field.
- Muffler Man Gifts and Gear : T-shirts, mugs, and other swag.