Victoria, Kansas: Massacred Railroad Workers CemeteryMemorial to six railroad workers killed by Cheyenne Indians in 1867.
Union Pacific Railroad Cemetery
- Old Hwy 40, Victoria, KS
- Just south of Victoria, ten miles east of Hays. Old Hwy 40 and Cathedral Ave.
Visitor Tips and News About Massacred Railroad Workers Cemetery
An unusual site that I like to promote is the Victoria Railroad Cemetery. The site is where six Kansas Pacific railroad workers who were killed in an Indian raid are buried. There are six stones for each worker, and a larger marker with a plaque denoting the site. It's the only such burial site in Kansas, and I don't know of any similar sites anywhere else.[Robert Collins, 11/15/2000]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Grave of the Man who Gave us Angus Beef, Victoria, KS - < 1 mi.
- Famous Fish within a Fish Fossil, Hays, KS - 9 mi.
- "Monarch of the Plains" Bison Statue, Hays, KS - 10 mi.
- In the region: World's Largest Collection of World's Smallest Versions of World's Largest..., Lucas, KS - 36 mi.