Laramie, Wyoming: Big Brown T. Rex Made of Copper
Retired college professor Samuel H. "Doc" Knight spent over 4,000 hours hand-hammering copper plates onto this 45-foot-long T. Rex. He unveiled it April 11, 1964.
University of Wyoming
- 1000 E. University Ave., Laramie, WY
- University of Wyoming, Geological Survey Bldg. on the corner of 11th and Lewis. A short walk between the Engineering and Geological Survey Bldgs, then turn right and he's in the trees.
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Results 1 to 3 of 3...
Copper Dinosaur - T-Rex
Visitor Tips and News About Big Brown T. Rex Made of Copper
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
This life size dinosaur is made of copper and was built by Samuel H. Knight. It sits beside the Geological Survey Bldg. on the University of Wyoming campus. [Joe Boulter, 09/30/2007]
A life-sized dinosaur is made of copper plates welded together. It stands in front of the Geology Museum on the University of Wyoming campus. Stop in and see it. Grab a pine cone from the tree nearby and try and lob it into the dino's mouth!
[A Hendrickson, 11/04/2006]
Big copper T-Rex
Some well-known sculptor built a copper (or bronze) T-Rex in front of the U of Wyoming Geology Museum. I saw it being built inside a wooden structure in the early 1960s. In the dark room, with only the strip of light the open door allowed in, the T-Rex, almost finished, was TERRIFYING (to this then-child, anyhow).
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 19, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Wyoming Latest Tips and Stories
- Wyoming Territorial Prison, Laramie, Wyoming
- Rogues Gallery and Old West Museum, Hulett, Wyoming
- Wyoming's Oldest Operating Soda Fountain, Chugwater, Wyoming
- Ames Monument, Buford, Wyoming
- Museum of Flight and Aerial Firefighting, Greybull, Wyoming
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Two-headed Calf, Boise, Idaho
- Hitler's Tea Service and Spy Weapons, Anniston, Alabama
- Large Bull, Franklin, Kentucky
- World's Largest Cowboy Boots, San Antonio, Texas
- Gracie the Shark, Charleston, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips