Huntsville, Texas: Headstone of Black Jesus
Actually the gravestone of Rawley Rather Powell, who died, age 5, in 1925. His parents erected a life-size bronze Jesus above Rawley's grave, and Jesus has turned black over time.
- 9th St., Huntsville, TX
- Oakwood Cemetery. On the north side of the cemetery, roughly due north of its entrance gate off of 9th St.
Headstone of Black Jesus
Visitor Tips and News About Headstone of Black Jesus
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Oakwood Cemetery in Huntsville not only has the grave of Sam Houston, it also has a life-size bronze statue of Jesus. Over time this statue has turned black and is now referred to as "Black Jesus." Legend says that if you stand there long enough he will move his hands from palm up to palm down and his eyes seem to follow you when you walk around him. Did not happen for us. A beautiful and unique headstone.
[Marti Mason, 06/05/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
October 24, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Texas Latest Tips and Stories
- Giant Sofa with Couch Potatoes, Austin, Texas
- Town Named Cut And Shoot, Cut And Shoot, Texas
- Stonehenge II, Ingram, Texas
- World's Largest Cowboy Boots, San Antonio, Texas
- Alien Abduction Statue, The Woodlands, Texas
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Cateraptasaurus, Rosedale, Maryland
- Mother Mary's Totem, San Luis, Colorado
- Penobscot Narrows Observatory and Bridge, Prospect, Maine
- Big Travel Mug, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
- Mr. Potato Head Pizza Guy, Providence, Rhode Island
Latest Visitor Tips