Tempe, Arizona: AZ Route 101 Art Scene
Before Arizona ran out of money, it spent some cash engraving local flora and fauna -- and what appear to be Bigfoot footprints -- into the retaining walls along a sunken freeway.
- Price Fwy, Tempe, AZ
- Hwy 101/Price Fwy north from Hwy 202, at all of the overpasses from Frye Rd to at least Guadalupe Rd.
AZ Route 101 Art Scene
Visitor Tips and News About AZ Route 101 Art Scene
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
If you take Route 101 North from Route 202 (just past the World's Largest Inflatable Dam) you will be treated to all manor of artistic scenes on the highways concrete walls. Most walls have Southwestern style geckos painted onto the highway sound barriers, but there are also saguaro cacti at one of the interchanges.
Most of the locals say they "just don't understand why" the highway is painted like this but after driving zillions of East Coast interstates and highways with little or no imagination I think it's a nice touch.
[Greg Brown, 03/17/2001]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
May 18, 2013
Arizona Latest Tips and Stories
- Grave of Ernesto Miranda, Mesa, Arizona
- Rattlesnake Crafts, Elfrida, Arizona
- Meteor City Trading Post - World's Longest Map of Route 66, Meteor City, Arizona
- Big Baby, Goodyear, Arizona
- Garden of Gethsemane, Tucson, Arizona
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Fake Airplane Landing, Port Hadlock, Washington
- Worried Buoy, Port Townsend, Washington
- Bomb Crater Marker, Florence, South Carolina
- Grave in the Road, New Smyrna Beach, Florida
- Stonehenge Storybook Village, Alameda, California
Latest Visitor Tips