Frederick, Maryland: Statue of John Hanson, First U.S. President
Ignored for centuries, America's first President -- he was in office eight years before George Washington -- finally has an outdoor statue that people can visit.
- 100 W. Patrick St., Frederick, MD
- In the courtyard of the Frederick County Courthouse (next to the site of John Hanson House). On the southwest corner of S. Court St. and Hwy 144/W. Patrick St.
Statue of John Hanson, First U.S. President
Visitor Tips and News About Statue of John Hanson, First U.S. President
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Ignored for centuries, America's first President finally has an outdoor statue that people can visit. John Hanson was the first President of the United States in Congress Assembled (in 1781), which oversaw the new nation before the Constitution was ratified and George Washington became official President No. 1 (in 1789). A technicality? Not in the eyes of those who bankrolled this statue, which was unveiled in August 2012. It stands, according to its plaque, so that the people of Maryland and the United States "may at last pay tribute to their first President."
[RoadsideAmerica.com Team, 08/09/2012]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 11, 2013
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
Maryland Latest Tips and Stories
- Prayer Stop (Tiny Church), Silver Spring, Maryland
- Hug Me Sweater Tree, Baltimore, Maryland
- Big Strawberry, Queen Anne, Maryland
- Easter Island Head, Kensington, Maryland
- Lawyer's Farm - Transformers, Thurmont, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Medical Exhibit of Yesteryear, Martinsburg, West Virginia
- Wizard Of Oz Dorothy Grave, Bloomington, Illinois
- Time Portal Tromp L'oeil Murals, Brooksville, Florida
- Feature: Clinton Wedding House, Fayetteville, Arkansas
- TARDIS Little Free Library, Lisle, Illinois
Latest Visitor Tips