San Antonio, Texas: Wooden Nickel Museum and Giant Wooden Nickel1.5 million wooden nickels, including the World's Largest, which is over 13 feet tall and weighs 2,500 pounds.
Old Time Wooden Nickel Co.
- 345 Austin Rd, San Antonio, TX
- Old Time Wooden Nickel Co. US 281 to the Hildebrand Ave. exit. Drive east to the T intersection, then turn right onto New Braunfels Ave. Drive south eight blocks to Funston Place, then turn left. Drive to Austin Rd, then turn right. The Museum is a block south.
- M-F 9am - 5pm, Sa-Su by appt (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Visitor Tips and News About Wooden Nickel Museum and Giant Wooden Nickel
The Wooden Nickel Historical Museum is holding its Grand Re-Opening and is dedicating the World's Largest Wooden Nickel to Fisher House, for its contributions to soldiers and their families. Every year since 2002, the WLWN is redesigned and dedicated to a different non-profit organization.
In 2008, the founder of the Wooden Nickel Historical Museum and creator of the World's Largest Wooden Nickel, Herb Hornung, passed away. Since that time, the museum has been closed and the yearly re-dedication of the Nickel halted. Over the last two years, Herb's daughter and son-in-law, Felicia and Alex Lovo, along with the Wooden Nickel Family, have expanded and redesigned the Wooden Nickel Museum. In April, we will begin the process of redesigning the World's Largest Wooden Nickel for its unveiling. Both ceremonies are to be held on May 15, 2010 at the Museum. It will be an all day event with Food, Fun and Military History.[Amanda Sundin, 03/19/2010]
On Saturday June 22, 2002, the Wooden Nickel Museum unveiled the World's Largest Wooden Nickel. This Wooden Nickel is 13ft 4in diameter and 5.5 inches thick and weight 2,500 pounds.
The Museum is located at the site of the Old Time Wooden Nickel Co., the oldest continuously operating Wooden Nickel producer in America, which creates over 5 million Wooden Nickels every year, representing about 4,000 unique designs.[Herb Hornung, 06/25/2002]
This nickel surpasses the big wooden nickel at the Woodmen's Museum, Boiestown, NB, Canada, which rolled in at 12 ft. diameter. Wooden nickel collector Herb Hornung has been featuring some of his 1.5 million historical wooden nickels at the museum since he opened it in 1998.
Forget the Alamo. The attraction that's sure to put this Texas cowtown on the travel map is the Wooden Nickel Museum, soon to be opened in San Antonio by wooden nickel enthusiast Herb Hornung.... [10/25/1998] Complete News Story
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Kiddie Park - Oldest Children's Amusement Park, San Antonio, TX - < 1 mi.
- Pig Stand - Last Vestige of First Drive-In Restaurant, San Antonio, TX - 2 mi.
- Barney Smith's Toilet Seat Art Museum, San Antonio, TX - 2 mi.
- World's Largest Virgin Mary Mosaic, San Antonio, TX - 4 mi.