Lincoln, Nebraska: National Museum of Roller SkatingThe whole glorious history of wheeled walking and the sport of roller skating is revealed.
- 4730 South St., Lincoln, NE
- I-80 exit 405 south (Hwy 77). Turn right (west) on Cornhusker Hwy, then turn left (south) on 48th St. Museum is south of Cornhusker Hwy at the corner of 48th and South Sts.
- M-F 9 am - 5 pm. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About National Museum of Roller Skating
The National Museum of Rollerskating is located in the back of an office building for a national rollerskating association.
Inside is a collection of actual skates, including a wall of wheels over the years (all properly mounted and spin-able), as well as costumes of award-winning skaters and other skating memorabilia, such as advertisements featuring roller skates, photos, and signed posters from skating competitions.
Admission is free, though donations are welcome.[Megan, 06/19/2008]
We've heard that there's not one, but two pair of gas-powered roller skates here as well....
Always thought this was odd...[Paul Hayes, 11/12/2005]
Open since 1980, the museum contains the world's largest collection of historical roller skates, one pair dating back to 1819. Exhibits include figure skating, roller hockey, jam skating, speed skating....
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Space Shuttle and Insects of Chrome, Lincoln, NE - 2 mi.
- Telephone Museum, Lincoln, NE - 2 mi.
- Big, Clanging Head of Bricks, Lincoln, NE - 3 mi.
- In the region: River Country Nature Center: Taxidermy Chicken Coop, Nebraska City, NE - 43 mi.