Mount Airy, North Carolina: Andy Griffith Museum, Chang and EngAndy Griffith is king in Mt. Airy. He gets a Museum; local siamese twins are covered as well.
Visitor Tips and News About Andy Griffith Museum, Chang and Eng
We just passed through Mount Airy, and there is Andy Griffith stuff everywhere. There's even an Aunt Bea's restaurant with home cookin' and barbeque. The town boasts of its own Barney Fife look-a-like, who models for their brochures and attends Andy Griffith-related events. The Mount Airy Visitors Center claims the world's largest collection of Andy Griffith memorabilia. The collection itself is not as interesting as the town's quirky obsession.
In addition to Andy Griffith, the famous Siamese twins, Chang and Eng, settled in Surry County. The Mt. Airy Visitors Center has a small display case on them. The Siamese twins are buried in nearby White Plains.
Snappy Lunch on Main Street serves a famous pork chop sandwich with chili, coleslaw, and mustard. It's a treat to eat lunch there and get your picture taken with the owner holding up a fried pork chop. And the sandwich is great. There are several large photographs on the walls documenting Oprah Winfrey's visit to Snappy Lunch.[Katherine Fehl, 11/29/2002]
I heard about the Andy Griffith Museum on the radio. The world's largest collection of memorabilia of Andy Griffith (the man not the show), in Mt. Airy North Carolina. I think they have it in the Visitor's center in town.[Rance Edwards, 01/10/1997]
Andy Griffith Museum, Chang and Eng
- 218 Rockford St., Mount Airy, NC
- I-77 exit 100 to Hwy 89/Pine St. east into town. At Moody's Funeral Home, turn right at the traffic light onto Graves St. At the top of the hill, turn right onto Rockford St. The museum will be on the right, next to the Andy Griffith Playhouse. (From I-74, take exit 11 to Hwy 601/Rockford St. into town. The museum will be on the left, at the traffic light at Spring St., next to the Andy Griffith Playhouse.) The Chang and Eng exhibit is in the basement of the Playhouse. If it's closed, the folks at the Museum have the key to let you in.
- M-F 9 am - 5 pm, Sa 11 am - 4 pm, Su 1:30-4:30 pm. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Andy Griffith TV Town of Mayberry, Mount Airy, NC - < 1 mi.
- Floyd’s City Barber Shop, Mount Airy, NC - < 1 mi.
- Wally's Service Station and Mayberry Courthouse, Mount Airy, NC - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Steakhouse Bull at Old Staley's Grill - Temporarily Gone, Winston-Salem, NC - 32 mi.