Warthen, Georgia: Georgia's Oldest Jail: VP Aaron Burr Imprisoned Here
A crude, one-room wood log building. Its most famous prisoner was Vice President Aaron Burr, who spent one night in it "en route to trial for treason," according to its marker.
- Warthen Lane, Warthen, GA
- On the west side of Hwy 15/Warthen Rd just south of its intersection with Hwy 102/Mitchell Rd. You'll see the historical marker standing on the grass, but the tiny cabin is back in the trees.
Oldest Jail in Georgia - Aaron Burr imprisoned in front yard
Visitor Tips and News About Georgia's Oldest Jail: VP Aaron Burr Imprisoned Here
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Warthen is the home to the oldest Jail in Georgia. It is a crude one room wooden log building that was built for the purposes of detaining American Vice President Aaron Burr. It is in someone's front yard now, but it is still a tourist attraction, and people are always stopping to take pictures.
[Ashley Brown, 03/19/2004]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
August 28, 2014
Georgia Latest Tips and Stories
- Walking Dead Town, Senoia, Georgia
- World's Largest Mattress, Jefferson, Georgia
- Junkman's Daughter - Junk Superstore, Atlanta, Georgia
- CDC Museum - Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia
- Commuter Gallery - Art Installation, Decatur, Georgia
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Largest Zipper in America, Barre, Vermont
- Glass-Bottom Pull-it-Yourself Raft, Manistique, Michigan
- Grave of a Gypsy Queen, Evansville, Indiana
- Two Guns - Route 66 Attractions In Ruins, Two Guns, Arizona
- Popeye Statue, Springdale, Arkansas
Latest Visitor Tips