New Orleans, Louisiana: Formerly Upside Down Giant Frostop Mug
Hurricane Katrina flipped this giant root beer mug, and it became a topsy-turvy landmark. In late 2011, the new owner flipped it right-side up again. So just a big mug sign now....
- S. Miro St., New Orleans, LA
- Ted's Frostop. On S. Miro St., which is just off of the northeast side of US Hwy 90/S. Claiborne Ave., and just west of Calhoun St.
Results 1 to 2 of 2...
Formerly Upside Down Giant Frostop Mug
Visitor Tips and News About Formerly Upside Down Giant Frostop Mug
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The mug is back in place on the pole - much cooler, actually. This place is worth a visit, both for kitsch value and food quality. [Shane Cole, 07/11/2013]
Upside Down Frostop Mug
After Hurricane Katrina, the Ted's Frostop just off of Claiborne Avenue found it's iconic giant root beer mug knocked off its pole and perfectly upside down.
The owners, seeing an opportunity to make their Frostop unique (and probably because of the cost), decided not to place the mug back atop its pole. They've also made the upside-down mug as their new logo and sell t-shirts that have the upside down mug on them.
In 2007, the mug was repainted and restored, but still in the upside down position with a brick planter underneath it for support and protection.
[Bob Pearce, 01/12/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Haunted Bed & Breakfast, New Orleans, LA - < 1 mi.
- Voodoo-Enhanced New Orleans Cemetery, New Orleans, LA - 2 mi.
- Lighthouse Building, New Orleans, LA - 3 mi.
- Cabildo Museum - Death Mask, Caskets, Leeches, New Orleans, LA - 3 mi.
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
September 21, 2014
Louisiana Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Huey Long Death Gun, Speechifying Statue, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Feature: Huey Long Shot Here: See the Bullet Hole, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Feature: Huey Long's Towering Tombstone, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Marker: Where Stars Flirted with Local Girls, Morganza, Louisiana
- Feature: Abita Mystery House, Abita Springs, Louisiana
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- World's Oldest and Least Flattering McKinley Statue, Muskegon, Michigan
- Statue of Gabe, Owensboro, Kentucky
- Sound Garden, Seattle, Washington
- Park Bench Tribute to Kurt Cobain, Seattle, Washington
- Reiff's Front Lawn Gas Station, Woodland, California
Latest Visitor Tips