Weston, West Virginia: Mountaineer Military MuseumPersonal exhibit to honor West Virginia's fallen military heroes across a century plus of wars outside West Virginia.
- 345 Center Ave., Weston, WV
- From I-79, take U.S. Route 33 West, into Weston, WV. Go through several stoplights, continuing into Weston. At the Go-Mart, look for the green sign...or turn right at that light. Mid way down Center Avenue, on the right, next to the Fire Department, with Military flags flying proudly in the breeze, is the Museum, in the old school house.
- Summer: F-Sa 10 am - 4 pm. Winter: Sa 10 am - 4 pm. Or by Appt. (Call to verify)
Visitor Tips and News About Mountaineer Military Museum
The Mountaineer Military Museum's collection is extensive for such a small space, and honors military service from the Spanish American War, WW I, WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm/Shield, Iraq, Afghanistan...and everything in between...even, some WWII home front memorabilia.
The premise of the museum is the "PROMISE" to the owner's fallen childhood friends during the Vietnam War. He made a graveside vow (as a pallbearer at his best friend's funeral, "I will never let anyone forget you"). The museum's Hall Of Heroes is most moving and reverent, as they have pictures of those who served from all over West Virginia. They rely on family members to provide pictures, and once one visits, they realize the reverence and respect that the owner give these families' military heroes.[Barbara McVaney, 07/28/2010]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Museum of American Glass in West Virginia and National Marble Museum, Weston, WV - < 1 mi.
- Free Speech Stump, Weston, WV - < 1 mi.
- Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, Weston, WV - < 1 mi.
- In the region: Greatest Generation Society Museum, Rowlesburg, WV - 48 mi.