Rudolph, Wisconsin: Rudolph Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave
Elaborate religious grotto and shrine created by a priest and finished by volunteers.
- 6975 Grotto Ave., Rudolph, WI
- Northeast side of town, north of Main St. on Grotto Ave.
- May 1-Oct 30 Daylight hours. (Call to verify)
- RA Rates:
- Worth a Detour
Rudolph Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave
Visitor Tips and News About Rudolph Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
Rudolph Grotto Gardens and Wonder Cave is along the lines of the Dickeyville Grotto and the Grotto of the Redemption, and definitely fits into your dementia concretia category.
In 1912, Father Wagner visited the Grotto of our Lady in Lourdes, France. He prayed that should his health be restored, he promised to build a shrine in Mary's honor. In 1927, Father Wagner began building a European-style shrine in Rudolph, WI, that included acres of gardens, bridges, paths and sculptures.
Father Wagner died in 1959, but with the help of many volunteers over the years, the last project was completed in 1983. The Wonder Cave is a little cheesy, but the rest of it is really cool, interesting and impressive.
[Mary Norvell, 08/17/2010]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
April 18, 2014
Wisconsin Latest Tips and Stories
- Towboat L. Wade Childress, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
- Carved Sturgeon Photo Opportunity, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
- Mary Nohl's Concrete Art, Fox Point, Wisconsin
- Margaret Thatcher Jelly Belly Portrait, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
- Pirates Hideaway, Eagle River, Wisconsin
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Champions For Humanity: Mount Rushmore of California, Oakland, California
- Statue of Pegasus, Jacksonville Beach, Florida
- Large Floating Rubber Duck, Jacksonville, Florida
- Swamis - Self Realization Fellowship, Encinitas, California
- Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson Statue, College Park, Maryland
Latest Visitor Tips