Eureka, California: USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and WreckIn 1917, the USS Milwaukee C-21 cruiser ran aground while trying to tow a beached submarine into the water. Wreck remnants visible at low tide; memorial is at beach access entrance.
- New Navy Base Rd, Eureka, CA
- The wreck is off Samoa Beach. The memorial is at the closest beach access across from Lp Dr.
Visitor Tips and News About USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
The USS Milwaukee C-21 was a large protected cruiser (what would later be called a heavy cruiser). She ran aground in 1917 while trying to tow a beached submarine (H-3) back into the water. Fortunately the crew were rescued, but the ship broke her keel on the sand.
The wreckage can still be seen at low tide, but was completely submerged when I visited.
The memorial is very tasteful. Very interesting for Navy personnel or anyone interested in Navy history.[Roxanne B, 08/03/2011]
Nearby Offbeat Places
- Folk Art: Gabriel's Garden, Eureka, CA - 2 mi.
- Fort Humboldt - Ulysses S. Grant Posted Here with Bottle, Eureka, CA - 2 mi.
- Carson Mansion - Quintessential Haunted House, Eureka, CA - 2 mi.
- In the region: Tour-Thru Tree, Klamath, CA - 50 mi.