Eureka, California: USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
In 1917, the USS Milwaukee C-21 cruiser ran aground while trying to tow a beached submarine into the water. Wreck remnants visible at low tide; memorial is at beach access entrance.
- New Navy Base Rd, Eureka, CA
- The wreck is off Samoa Beach. The memorial is at the closest beach access across from Lp Dr.
USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
Visitor Tips and News About USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The USS Milwaukee C-21 was a large protected cruiser (what would later be called a heavy cruiser). She ran aground in 1917 while trying to tow a beached submarine (H-3) back into the water. Fortunately the crew were rescued, but the ship broke her keel on the sand.
The wreckage can still be seen at low tide, but was completely submerged when I visited.
The memorial is very tasteful. Very interesting for Navy personnel or anyone interested in Navy history.
[Roxanne B, 08/03/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
November 27, 2014
Create and Save Your Own Crazy Road Trip!
Try My Sights
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Point Mugu Missile Park, Port Hueneme, California
- Beatles/Classic Rock Ice Cream Shoppe, Pacific Grove, California
- Bliss Dance, San Francisco, California
- Piano Staircase, Hollywood, California
- Bono's Giant Orange Stand, Fontana, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Feature: Housewife-Whacking Meteor Fell Here, Oak Grove, Alabama
- Feature: Alabama's Housewife-Whacking Meteorite, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- Blue Whale, Catoosa, Oklahoma
- Biloxi Katrina Trees, Biloxi, Mississippi
- Grave of Sam Kinison, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Latest Visitor Tips