Eureka, California: USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
In 1917, the USS Milwaukee C-21 cruiser ran aground while trying to tow a beached submarine into the water. Wreck remnants visible at low tide; memorial is at beach access entrance.
- New Navy Base Rd, Eureka, CA
- The wreck is off Samoa Beach. The memorial is at the closest beach access across from Lp Dr.
USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
Visitor Tips and News About USS Milwaukee C-21 Memorial and Wreck
Reports and tips from RoadsideAmerica.com visitors and Roadside America mobile tipsters. Some tips may not be verified. Submit your own tip.
The USS Milwaukee C-21 was a large protected cruiser (what would later be called a heavy cruiser). She ran aground in 1917 while trying to tow a beached submarine (H-3) back into the water. Fortunately the crew were rescued, but the ship broke her keel on the sand.
The wreckage can still be seen at low tide, but was completely submerged when I visited.
The memorial is very tasteful. Very interesting for Navy personnel or anyone interested in Navy history.
[Roxanne B, 08/03/2011]
Latest Tips Across Roadside America
Catch up on the latest discoveries from the road.
Explore Thousands of Oddball Tourist Attractions!
Unique destinations in the US and Canada are our special obsession. Start here.
Use RoadsideAmerica.com's Attraction Maps to plan your next road trip.
December 21, 2014
California Latest Tips and Stories
- Feature: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey, Crockett, California
- Big Donut - Dunkin Donuts, Long Beach, California
- Giant Gas Guy, Hayward, California
- Rocket Park and Airplane Graveyard, Mojave, California
- Gawk at Elephant Seals, San Simeon, California
Latest Visitor Tips
USA and Canada Tips and Stories
- Shoe Tree Park, Park City, Utah
- La Salette Shrine, Enfiel, New Hampshire
- Ferocious Fish Sculpture, Tampa, Florida
- Lambert's, Home of Throwed Rolls, Ozark, Missouri
- Happy Rock, Gladstone, Manitoba
Latest Visitor Tips