Find California travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
History of Taft and a region once dotted with 7,000 wooden derricks. Outdoor derrick, equipment...site of the largest rodent infestation in US.
A guy named "Coyote" parks his UFO repair trucks and spare saucers outside the entrance to Desert View Tower.
Costa Mesa, California
Slumber in faux-foreign splendor and dream of the jewels of Araby.
Attic heirlooms in the local museum: C&H Sugar company town, miniature cathedral, giant wasp nest, and a record fish catch.
Cybernetic sculpture gallery and cabinet of curiosities for artists Clayton and Betty Bailey.
"The Little City from the Alps" is home to German-themed stores and restaurants. Oktoberfest celebrations since 1967.
Only in Berkeley -- invisible column extends 60,000 straight up above a monument to free speech.
Everyone's favorite O/C million-lingual metal man is rendered in junk. He's one of several sculptures decorating the entrance of a recycling business.
San Francisco, California
Improbable hero of the 1906 earthquake, one fire hydrant, now painted gold, saved the Mission district from the city-wide conflagration.
San Francisco, California
Actors portray notorious San Francisco criminals and characters in a dark basement attraction near Fisherman's Wharf.
San Francisco, California
Inside the stadium of the San Francisco Giants, a gigantic old fashioned baseball glove is ready to catch left field homers.
Top Rated Attractions
Mayor Istel built his town smack over the Center of the World, now site of a pyramid, church and world history in granite.
Fort Irwin, California
Fake Iraq and Afghan villages built for Army training employ actor-citizens and insurgents. Special attack tours.
The late outsider artist Leonard Knight painted huge, divinely inspired visions on a desert dirt ridge he called Salvation Mountain.
Concrete colossi built by Auburn dentist-sculptor Ken Fox.
Built by the late Claude Bell, who ran the Wheel Inn on I-10; currently owned by folks who don't buy the Theory of Evolution.
Culver City, California
A collection both cryptic and illuminating, dedicated to raising public appreciation of the Lower Jurassic.
El Cajon, California
Headquarters of the Unarians, firm believers that 33 city-ships of the galactic Federation would arrive on Earth in 2001 (they didn't).
The hairy biped, spotted between surfing beaches and Silicon Valley.
1960s vintage fiberglass Paul Bunyan statue spent a long career standing in front of Hayward businesses before finding a home at a local plastics fabrication business.
Fiberglass, gap-toothed goof version of a Muffler Man wears a Hawaiian shirt. Moved from Flint, Michigan in 2014.
Grisly romp through funeral customs, celebrity murders, freak animals, and art of the condemned.
Giant statues of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox guard the entrance of Trees of Mystery, where corkscrew trees and other arboreal mutants stand for your viewing pleasure.
La Puente, California
A doughnut shop sandwiched between two giant doughnuts is the very definition of the drive-thru attraction.
Los Angeles, California
Caren and Carl share their unmatched collection of naked ladies, unicorns, African-Americans in love. Black light room!
North Hollywood, California
Valhalla Memorial Park contains the Portal of the Folded Wing, a space shuttle replica, and the earthly remains of the Amazing Criswell.
San Francisco, California
Trippy tour of the Summer of Love using an old bus and 21st century tech.
San Jose, California
Picture 1968, Mexico City Olympics, The Star Spangled Banner. Black Power salute in silent protest. The two athletes are honored with a big statue.
Santa Cruz, California
Gravity misbehaves, but tour guides help visitors navigate the cockeyed hill.
People rent and sell bulldozers inside this building shaped like a bulldozer.
Yorba Linda, California
Dive into the murky pool of Nixonabilia: see his birth home, helicopter, political ascent, downfall, and a rock shaped like his head.
Dentist Ken Fox sculpted this large statue of a Chinese laborer.
Building shaped like a shoe where you can still get faulty footwear fixed.
Museum sits atop mountain of tailings, looks down into pit. Learn about borates, mules, and Ronald Reagan.
Borrego Springs, California
Memorial to gold prospector and inveterate liar. It's really there, out in the desert. Honest.
Pellet-Regurgitating Pez dispensers -- they're all here, along with the World's Largest.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of California
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Or check out: Complete list of California attractions.
- Adelanto: Miraculous Giant Healing Buddhist Statue [tips]
- Alameda: Carrier USS Hornet, Prints of Moon Men [tips]
- Antioch: Statue of the Cannery Lady [tips]
- Aptos: Egg Machine with Robot Chickens [tips]
- Atascadero: Jolly Jim the Mystery Tree [tips]
- Atwater: Castle Air Museum [tips]
- Auburn: Ken Fox's Great Statues of Auburn
- Auburn: The Coolie - Ken Fox Statue
- Avalon: Statue of Old Ben, Hungry Sea Lion [tips]
- Bakersfield: Big Shoe Repair - Shoe-shaped Building
- Bakersfield: Muffler Man - The Indian Warrior [tips]
- Baldwin Park: Replica of the First In-N-Out Burger [tips]
- Big Bear Lake: Time Bandits Movie Pirate Ship - Sunk [tips]
- Bishop: Ghost Town and Freak Lamb [tips]
- Bodie: Bodie State Historic Park - Ghost Town [tips]
- Boonville: Where People Speak Boontling [tips]
- Boron: Borax Visitor Center
- Borrego Springs: Liar Peg Leg Smith Monument
- Borrego Springs: Statues of Dinosaurs and Monsters [tips]
- Buellton: Mendenhall's Museum of Gas Pumps and Petroliana [tips]
- Buena Park: Independence Hall Replica [tips]
- Burlingame: Museum of Pez Memorabilia
- Burlingame: Little Man with the Hammer
- Cabazon: Cabazon Dinosaurs
- Calistoga: Old Faithful Geyser of California
- Calistoga: Medieval Castle Winery [tips]
- Cambria: Nitt Witt Ridge
- Campbell: Delta Queen Car Wash [tips]
- Cardiff-by-the-Sea: Cardiff Kook Surfer Statue [tips]
- Carlsbad: Craftsmanship Museum: Tiny Machines
- Carson: Muffler Man [tips]
- Cassel: Large Junk Art Sculptures [tips]
- Castroville: Giant Artichoke
- Chiriaco Summit: General Patton Memorial Museum
- Cholame: James Dean Memorial [tips]
- Coalinga: Prehistoric Snail, Earthquake, Town History
- Colma: Emperor Norton Grave [tips]
- Colma: Circus Showfolks of America Memorial
- Coloma: Towering Grave of California's Gold Discoverer
- Compton: Muffler Man [tips]
- Corona: Fender Guitar Factory Tour [tips]
- Costa Mesa: TBN Studio and Virtual Reality Jerusalem [tips]
- Cotati: Accordionist Statue [tips]
- Crockett: Bailey Art Museum - Robots of Clayton Bailey
- Culver City: Museum of Jurassic Technology
- Culver City: Holy Cross Cemetery - Graves of the Stars [tips]
- Davis: Toad Hollow - Tunnel for Toad Traffic
- Death Valley: Scotty's Castle [tips]
- Death Valley Junction: Amargosa Opera House [tips]
- Death Valley National Park: Uhehebe Crater: Volcano!
- Desert Hot Springs: Cabot's Old Indian Pueblo Museum
- Downey: World's Oldest Operating McDonald's [tips]
- El Cajon: Unarius Academy of Science
- El Cajon: Giant Mary and Toddler Jesus
- El Cerrito: Playland Not At The Beach
- El Dorado Hills: Barber Jon's Curiosities and Oddities [tips]
- El Monte: Muffler Man [tips]
- Encinitas: Surfing Madonna
- Escondido: Lawrence Welk Museum
- Escondido: Muffler Man - Joor Man
- Escondido: Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden - Temporarily Closed
- Fairfield: Jelly Belly Factory Tour
- Felicity: Official Center of the World
- Felton: Bigfoot Discovery Museum
- Felton: Redwood Cross-Section of Time
- Fish Camp: California Tunnel Tree [tips]
- Folsom: Folsom Prison Museum
- Forestville: Muffler Man - Bunyan [tips]
- Fort Bragg: Tattoo Museum [tips]
- Fort Irwin: Painted Rocks - Military Boulders [tips]
- Fort Irwin: Hi Jolly Exhibit and Human Leg Bone
- Fort Irwin: In the Box Tour: Battles in Fake Iraq
- Fremont: Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum [tips]
- Fresno: Forestiere Underground Gardens [tips]
- Garberville: Famous One Log House
- Garden Grove: Christ Cathedral (formerly Crystal Cathedral) [tips]
- Garlock: Burro Bill's Tunnel To Nowhere [tips]
- Geyserville: Coppola Winery Movie Museum
- Gilroy: Circus Trees at Gilroy Gardens
- Glendale: Big Gold Mall Statue of D-Day Dead
- Glendora: Rubel Pharm and Castle [tips]
- Guadalupe: DeMille's 10 Commandments Buried Here [tips]
- Guerneville: Pee Wee Golf
- Half Moon Bay: Pumpkin Farm, Labyrinth, Gladiator Battles [tips]
- Happy Camp: Surreal Bigfoot Sculpture [tips]
- Hat Creek: Muffler Man [tips]
- Hayward: Big Mike the Muffler Man
- Hayward: Muffler Man: Happy Halfwit Hollywood
- Hayward: Muffler Man Cowboy - Big Don
- Hayward: Muffler Man - Paul Bunyan No. 2
- Hayward: Giant Gas Guy [tips]
- Helendale: The Bottle Tree Ranch [tips]
- Hillsborough: Goofy Father Junipero Serra Statue
- Hollywood: Museum of Death
- Hollywood: Hollywood Forever Cemetery [tips]
- Hollywood: Johnny Ramone Grave [tips]
- Hollywood: Atlas Missile Grave Marker
- Hollywood: Famous Casting Couch [tips]
- Hollywood: Sleep in Room where Janis Joplin Died
- Hopland: Solar Living Center [tips]
- Huntington Beach: Statue Of Old Sarge - Dog Hero of World War II [tips]
- Inglewood: Big Doughnut, Randy's Donuts
- Irwindale: Tour the Sriracha Hot Sauce Factory
- Jacumba: Desert View Tower
- Joshua Tree: Metal Dinosaurs [tips]
- Klamath: Trees Of Mystery
- Klamath: Tour-Thru Tree
- La Jolla: House Teetering on Edge of Roof
- La Jolla: Giant Snake Mosaic Walkway
- La Jolla: Teddy Bear Made of Boulders [tips]
- La Puente: Big Doughnut, the Donut Hole
- Lancaster: The Musical Road [tips]
- Landers: The Integratron [tips]
- Lathrop: Crashed UFO at the Lathrop Tower Mart
- Lee Vining: Upside Down House [tips]
- Leggett: Chandelier Drive-Thru Tree
- Lemon Grove: World's Largest Lemon
- Lemoore: Giant Transformer Robot [tips]
- Lemoore: Fruit Stand With Creepy Junk People [tips]
- Livermore: Longest Continuously Burning Light Bulb
- Livermore: Muffler Man [tips]
- Lone Pine: Movie Road [tips]
- Los Angeles: 50-Foot-Tall Woman with Visible Organs
- Los Angeles: Big Doughnut - Dale's Donuts
- Los Angeles: Simon Rodia - Watts Junk Towers [tips]
- Los Angeles: Fake Forest Cafeteria [tips]
- Los Angeles: Muffler Man - Tony [tips]
- Los Angeles: Bronson Caves - Batman's Bat Cave [tips]
- Los Angeles: Velveteria: Museum of Velvet Paintings
- Los Angeles: Muffler Man - Sergio [tips]
- Los Angeles: Chicken Boy - Muffler Man [tips]
- Los Angeles: LA Coroners Office Gift Shop [tips]
- Los Angeles: La Brea Tar Pits [tips]
- Los Angeles: Giant Italian Chair [tips]
- Los Angeles: Urban Light - 200 Lit Lampposts [tips]
- Los Angeles: Cosmos-Themed Encounter Lounge [tips]
- Los Angeles: The L. Ron Hubbard Life Exhibition [tips]
- Los Angeles: Petersen Auto Museum - Temporarily Closed [tips]
- Los Angeles: Buried Face-Down Above Marilyn Monroe [tips]
- Los Angeles: Angels Flight - World's Shortest Railway
- Los Angeles: Forest Lawn Cemetery: Most Patriotic Place in LA
- Los Angeles: Space Shuttle Endeavor [tips]
- Los Angeles: LAPD Museum
- Los Angeles: Pierce Brothers Westwood Memorial Park [tips]
- Los Olivos: Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch [tips]
- Malibu: Salsa Muffler Man
- Marysville: Museum of the Forgotten Warriors [tips]
- Mecca: International Banana Museum [tips]
- Mecca: Bearded Cowboy Muffler Man [tips]
- Mentone: Muffler Man - Paul Bunyan [tips]
- Merced: Muffler Man and Ag Museum Frontier Town
- Monterey: Steinbeck's Spirit of Monterey Wax Museum [tips]
- Mountain View: Computer History Museum [tips]
- Myers Flat: Shrine Drive-Thru Tree
- Newhall: Horse Drawn Hearse Under Glass [tips]
- Niland: Salvation Mountain
- North Hollywood: Television Hall of Fame
- North Hollywood: Portal of the Folded Wings, Space Shuttle Memorial
- North Hollywood: Columbia, Challenger, and Criswell in Valhalla
- Novato: Out-of-Control Christmas House
- Novato: The Space Station Museum
- Novato: Olompali: Miwoks, Chosen Family, Grateful Dead
- Oakland: Champions For Humanity: Mount Rushmore of California
- Ocotillo: Coyote's Flying Saucer Retrievals and Repairs
- Oroville: Bolt's Antique Tool Museum
- Pacific Grove: Dead Gray Whale Monument [tips]
- Pacifica: Sam's Castle [tips]
- Palm Springs: Robots Sculpture Garden [tips]
- Palmdale: Blackbird Park - Spy Plane Hometown [tips]
- Palo Alto: Body of Urban Myth [tips]
- Palo Alto: Naked Running Car Statue [tips]
- Palo Alto: Statue of Nikola Tesla [tips]
- Pasadena: Bunny Museum [tips]
- Pasadena: Giant Fork [tips]
- Pearsonville: Uniroyal Gal [tips]
- Piercy: World Famous Tree House
- Piercy: Confusion Hill
- Placerville: Hanged Dummy at Hangman's Tree [tips]
- Redwood City: Pulgas Water Temple
- Rialto: Wigwam Village Motel #7 [tips]
- Richmond: Rosie the Riveter Visitor Center
- Rio Vista: Foster's Bighorn - 300 Heads
- Riverside: Vietnam War Dog Memorial
- Riverside: Sanchez's Beer Bottle Chapel, Folk Art [tips]
- Riverside: Hand-Made Dinosaurs [tips]
- Sacramento: One-Log Kevin Costner
- San Anselmo: Indiana Jones and Yoda Statues
- San Bernardino: Original McDonald's Site, Museum [tips]
- San Carlos: Hiller Aviation Museum - Only Surviving SST [tips]
- San Diego: Air and Space Museum: Nazi Flying Wing, Apollo 9 Capsule [tips]
- San Diego: Unconditional Surrender Statue
- San Diego: Our Lady of the Shoes [tips]
- San Diego: A National Salute to Bob Hope and the Military
- San Diego: Presidents Museum in a High School [tips]
- San Diego: Louie Mattar's Fabulous $75,000 Cadillac
- San Diego: The Scripps Turd [tips]
- San Francisco: Doggie Diner Heads
- San Francisco: Wave Organ
- San Francisco: Musee Mecanique
- San Francisco: Cupid's Span [tips]
- San Francisco: St. Francis Made of Melted Guns
- San Francisco: Tonga Room [tips]
- San Francisco: Paxton Gate - Taxidermied Mice
- San Francisco: The World's Crookedest Street
- San Francisco: Famous Lounging Sea Lions
- San Francisco: USS Pampanito Submarine Museum
- San Francisco: Albino Alligator
- San Francisco: Comic Rockstars Toilet Seat Museum [tips]
- San Francisco: Ripley's Believe It Or Not! Odditorium [tips]
- San Francisco: Magic Bus
- San Francisco: Cement Slides [tips]
- San Francisco: Real Crookedest Street in San Francisco
- San Francisco: Cathedral Made of Guns
- San Gabriel: Monster Park [tips]
- San Jose: Winchester Mystery House [tips]
- San Jose: Babe the Muffler Man
- San Jose: Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum [tips]
- San Jose: Olympic Black Power Statue
- San Luis Obispo: Bubble Gum Alley [tips]
- San Luis Obispo: Madonna Inn [tips]
- San Pedro: Battleship of Presidents: FDR's Tub
- San Pedro: SS Poseidon Model [tips]
- San Quentin: San Quentin Prison Gift Shop (and Museum) [tips]
- San Simeon: Hearst's Xanadu [tips]
- San Simeon: Gawk at Elephant Seals [tips]
- Santa Clara: 32-Foot-Tall Steel Mary [tips]
- Santa Clarita: Star Trek Gorn Battle Rocks - Vasquez Rocks [tips]
- Santa Cruz: Santa Cruz Mystery Spot
- Santa Cruz: Blue Whale Skeleton [tips]
- Santa Cruz: Half-Man, Half-Bear
- Santa Fe Springs: Oxman's Surplus Museum
- Santa Monica: Mushroom Cloud Made of Chains
- Santa Rosa: Menacing Goblins [tips]
- Santee: Creation and Earth History Museum
- Sausalito: Nike Missile Site SF88L
- Sebastopol: Demented But Lovable Dog Statue [tips]
- Sebastopol: Amiot's Junk Art Characters [tips]
- Sequoia National Park: Tunnel Log: Drive Thru a Fallen Sequoia
- Simi Valley: Ronald Reagan Museum and Library [tips]
- Simi Valley: Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle Village
- South Lake Tahoe: Magic Carpet Mini Golf
- Stockton: King of the Windmills
- Stockton: Giant Buddha Statues [tips]
- Sunol: Bosco the Dog Mayor
- Sutter Creek: Muffler Man [tips]
- Sylmar: Nethercutt Collection - Rare Cars And Music Machines [tips]
- Taft: The Great Mouse Invasion - West Kern Oil Museum
- Temecula: Ronald Reagan Can-Do Statue [tips]
- Torrance: JFK Memorial Toilet Bowl
- Traver: Watch Cheese Made, Climb 7-Story Tree House [tips]
- Trona: Trona Pinnacles
- Truckee: Donner Party Monument - Cannibals!
- Tulare: Restaurant Inside an Airplane [tips]
- Tulelake: Lava Beds National Monument [tips]
- Turlock: Office Shaped Like Bulldozer
- Tustin: Two Giant Airship Hangars [tips]
- Twentynine Palms: Outdoor Collection of Vintage Neon Signs [tips]
- Ukiah: City of Ten Thousand Buddhas [tips]
- Valle Vista: Nightly Bat Swarm
- Vallecito: Moaning Cavern
- Van Nuys: Muffler Man - Kevin [tips]
- Venice: Venice Beach Freakshow [tips]
- Venice: Beach Bordello, Gargoyle-Encrusted
- Victorville: California Route 66 Museum - Hulaville Model [tips]
- Vina: Medieval Monastery [tips]
- Weed: Living Memorial Sculpture Garden [tips]
- Willits: Muffler Man [tips]
- Willow Creek: Bigfoot Museum and Statue [tips]
- Woodland Hills: Old Trapper's Lodge Statues
- Yermo: Calico Ghost Town [tips]
- Yorba Linda: Richard Nixon Museum and Birthplace
- Yucca Valley: Desert Christ Park