Find California travel tips, stories, maps, videos and news for unusual tourist attractions and sights.
San Francisco, California
Torture, kidnapping and murder by the Bay. Experience 360 degrees of vile characters from SF's history.
Yorba Linda, California
The birthplace and museum of America's 37th President, who resigned in Watergate cover-up disgrace in August 1974.
We can do it! poster icon is the hook for the only national historic park about the WWII Home Front.
Prepare to squint at tiny functioning replicas of plane engines, cars, even pistols.
Santa Cruz, California
Gravity misbehaves, but tour guides help visitors navigate the cockeyed hill.
Scenic land enjoyed by the Miwok people for 8,000 years, and the Grateful Dead for two months.
The hairy biped, spotted between surfing beaches and Silicon Valley.
North Hollywood, California
Valhalla Memorial Park contains the Portal of the Folded Wing, a space shuttle replica, and the earthly remains of the Amazing Criswell.
San Francisco, California
Trippy tour of the Summer of Love using an old bus and 21st century tech.
Museum sits atop mountain of tailings, looks down into pit. Learn about borates, mules, and Ronald Reagan.
Bogus medicine evangelist built a desert oasis resort -- "the last name in health" -- before he was kicked out by the feds.
Unique public sculpture environment -- a walled knot of arty phantasma and childhood fever dream.
Culver City, California
A collection both cryptic and illuminating, dedicated to raising public appreciation of the Lower Jurassic.
California's famous pen, chronicled by its retired guards.
Grisly romp through funeral customs, celebrity murders, freak animals, and art of the condemned.
Pellet-Regurgitating Pez Dispensers -- they're all here, along with the World's Largest.
San Diego, California
Bob Hope statue entertains the troops' statues with a never-ending joke.
People rent and sell bulldozers inside this building shaped like a bulldozer.
The town of Sunol pays tribute to their leader with varying degrees of reverence.
Concrete colossi built by dentist Ken Fox.
A naturally reliable tourist attraction, with occasional bladder problems.
The city of Davis built special tunnels so toads wouldn't be squished crossing the highway. A toad bedroom community soon arose....
This 36-hole course may be the Birthplace of Odd Golf Sculpture.
Building shaped like a shoe where you can still get faulty footwear fixed.
Roadside America's blog, offering news, rants and ruminations on the state of California
Offbeat Landmarks and Oddities
Choice field reports and tips. Also see: Complete list of California attractions.
- Alameda: Haunted Aircraft Carrier [tips]
- Angel's Camp: Mark Twain Frog Cairn
- Aptos: S.S. Palo Alto Concrete Ship
- Auburn: Great Statues
- Baker: World's Largest Thermometer
- Bakersfield: Building Shaped Like a Shoe
- Bakersfield: Cancer Survivors Gauntlet
- Barstow: Giant Fire Helmet
- Bear Valley: Famous One Log House
- Berkeley: Free Speech Monument, 60,000 Feet High
- Berkeley: Protesters - Berkeley's Big People Statues
- Big Bear Lake: Time Bandits Pirate Ship [tips]
- Bishop: Ghost Town and Freak Lamb [tips]
- Boron: Borax Visitors Center
- Boron: Saxon Aerospace Museum - The Right Stuff
- Burbank: Alien Crash Landing [tips]
- Burlingame: Pez Museum
- Cabazon: Claude Bell's Dinosaurs
- Calistoga: Old Faithful Geyser of California
- Calistoga: Petrified Forest [tips]
- Cambria: Nitt Witt Ridge
- Carlsbad: Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum
- Castroville: Artichoke Capital, Giant Artichoke
- Chiriaco Summit: Gen. Patton Museum [tips]
- Cholame: James Dean Death Site [tips]
- Colma: Emperor Norton's grave, Wyatt Earp's grave | Mystery Tombstone | Sailors' Union of the Pacific Monument | Virgin Mary Image in a Tree
- Culver City: Museum of Jurassic Technology
- Davis: Toad Hollow Tunnel
- Death Valley: Mysterious Moving Rocks
- Death Valley Junction: Amargosa Opera House [tips]
- El Cajon: Unarius Academy of Science
- El Cerrito Playland Not at the Beach
- Encinitas: Ship Houses [tips]
- Escondido: Lawrence Welk Museum
- Escondido: Queen Califia's Magical Circle Garden
- Eureka: Gabriel's Garden
- Fairfield: Jelly Belly Factory Tour
- Felicity: Center of the World
- Felton: Bigfoot Discovery Museum
- Folsom: Folsom Prison Museum
- Fort Irwin: Battles in Fake Iraq
- Fresno: Forestiere Underground Gardens [tips]
- Gilroy: Circus Trees [tips]
- Geyserville: Coppola Winery Movie Museum
- Guerneville: Pee Wee Golf
- Helendale: Elmer's Place [tips]
- Hillsborough: Goofy Father Junipero Serra Statue
- Hollywood: Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Hollywood: Museum of Death
- Indio: Date Capital of the World [tips]
- Inglewood: Big Doughnut
- Jacumba: Desert View Tower
- Kingsburg: Swedish town, Coffee Pot water tower [tips]
- Klamath: Tour-Thru Tree, Trees of Mystery
- Lafayette: Hill of Crosses
- La Jolla: Gravity Hill [tips]
- La Puente: Donut Hole
- Lathrop: Crashed UFO at the Tower Mart
- Leggett: Chandelier Drive-Thru Tree
- Lemon Grove: World's Largest Lemon
- Lindsay: Large Olive [tips]
- Livermore: Longest Continually Burning Lightbulb [tips]
- Locke: Largest Rural Chinatown in US
- Los Angeles: LA County Coroner's Gift Shop [tips]
- Los Angeles: Tess, 50 ft. Woman
- Los Angeles: Simon Rodia Towers [tips]
- Merced: Muffler Man and Ag Museum Frontier Town
- Mojave: Airplane Graveyard [tips]
- Morro Bay: Human Chess Board [tips]
- Myers Flat: Shrine Drive-Thru Tree
- North Hollywood: Columbia, Challenger, and Criswell in Valhalla
- Novato: Olompali: Miwoks, Chosen Family, Grateful Dead
- Oakland: Children's Fairyland [tips]
- Oakland: Firestorm House and Disasters To Come
- Pasadena: Bunny Museum [tips]
- Phillipsville: Chimney Tree
- Piercy: World Famous Tree House
- Piercy: Confusion Hill
- Redwood City: Pulgas Water Temple
- Richmond: Rosie the Riveter Visitor Center
- Richmond: SS Red Oak Victory Ship
- Rio Vista: Foster's Big Horn
- Riverside: West Coast War Dog Memorial
- Sacramento: One-Log Kevin Costner
- Sacramento: Relic Contraption from the USS Maine
- San Diego: A National Salute to Bob Hope and the Military
- San Diego: Unconditional Surrender
- San Francisco: Camera Obscura - Giant Pinhole Camera
- San Francisco: Cathedral Made of Guns
- San Francisco: Doggie Diner [tips]
- San Francisco: Goddess of Democracy
- San Francisco: Gold Fire Hydrant - 1906 Earthquake
- San Francisco: Magic Bus
- San Francisco: Musee Mecanique
- San Francisco: Paxton Gate - Taxidermied Mice
- San Francisco: San Francisco Dungeon
- San Francisco: Shaking Man Sculpture
- San Francisco: St. Francis Made of Melted Guns
- San Francisco: Wave Organ
- San Jose: Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum [tips]
- San Jose: Winchester Mystery House [tips]
- San Luis Obispo: Madonna Inn [tips]
- San Mateo: Wind Organ and Sonic Sculptures
- Santa Clarita: Star Trek Rocks [tips]
- Santa Cruz: Dead Surfers Memorial
- Santa Cruz: Mystery Spot
- Santa Cruz: Surfing Monument
- Santee: Museum of Creation and Earth History
- Sausalito: NIke Missile Site SF88L
- Simi Valley: Grandma Prisbrey's Bottle Village [tips]
- Sunol: Bosco the Dog Mayor
- Sunol: Sunol Water Temple
- Turlock: Bulldozer Building
- Truckee: Donner Party Monument - Cannibals!
- Victorville: Brownie, Railroad Dog [tips]
- Willow Creek: Bigfoot sights [tips]
- Woodland Hills: The Old Trapper's Lodge
- Yorba Linda: Nixon Presidential Library & Museum
- Yucca Valley: Desert Christ Park
- Zzyzx: Quack-Founded Town With Last Name in the Alphabet